"Insert your CD or do a full install" ???

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Welly

"Insert your CD or do a full install" ???

Post by Welly »

Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'local'.
Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'plugins'.
Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'tags'.
Could not find all the foundation files. Insert your CD or do a full install.

What the fook?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: "Insert your CD or do a full install" ???

Post by Pyro »

Is the Myth2 executable you are trying to run in a folder with "tags" subfolder? Did you install the update or did you just copy/paste the files to another location and this happened? More details are needed.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Pyro wrote:Is the Myth2 executable you are trying to run in a folder with "tags" subfolder? Did you install the update or did you just copy/paste the files to another location and this happened? More details are needed.
Thanks for helping me on this. Here's what I know: Myth has been working flawlessly for years until the day I posted here. The only thing I've done any differently is, a few days prior, I placed the new Mazz version in the plugins folder, joined Mariusnet, saw I was too late for joining the Mazz that started, then left. Next thing I know, I try to boot Myth and now I keep getting this crap.

I would have said that this might be due to the new Mazz plugin, but this doesn't seem possible since I definitely booted without incident at least once after dropping it in my plugins Æ’. If my plugins folder was the cause of this, I wouldn't have been able to boot successfully to begin with, correct?

Regarding the tags folder, I haven't touched it in years and it seems quite normal to me when I look in there.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Can you post a screenshot/listing of your myth directory from which you're running the EXE? Those log messages very much sound like the Myth EXE you are running isn't located in the right place or with the wrong working directory, etc.
Welly

Post by Welly »

punkUser wrote:Can you post a screenshot/listing of your myth directory from which you're running the EXE? Those log messages very much sound like the Myth EXE you are running isn't located in the right place or with the wrong working directory, etc.
I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8. All the stuff is in the right place for sure.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

That's not what he asked. Please post a screenshot of your folder directories.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Since I've never heard of an EXE on a mac, this is what I am guessing you're looking for:
ishot-z.jpg
ishot-z.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 3771 times
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well if we were talking about the windows version then it would be the EXE, but we didn't know what OS you were on so it was a guess. Did you recently update your OS before this issue happened?

Make sure the shortcut you are using for Myth points to the right app and not another Myth app in a different folder. What other info does your myth log show after trying to run myth? Rename your preferences folder and see if that changes anything. If that fixes the issue, copy over the files you might want/need to retain your metaserver login and color info.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

What's in your local, plugins, and tags folder.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I did update the OS a few months before this issue, but opened myth dozens of times until the problem happened out of the blue. The shortcut/alias I'm using does point directly to the correct (only) Myth app on my drive.

Renaming the prefs folder didn't do anything unfortunately. The local folder only contains formations; tags folder has the 5 install files in it, plus a "cache" file; plugins folder contains 3.3 gigs of plugs.

I also tried running the latest update installer again, but it didn't help either. Even ran the general disk utility check on the hard drive, no problems there too.

The log says this:
2012-12-10 16:13:30
Myth II 32-Bit |iUniversal|p Build 374 running under MacOS 1068 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'local'.
Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'plugins'.
Error: File system Create in /Myth/Myth2Code/tag_files/tag_files.c, line #2713: couldn't create tags folder 'tags'.
Could not find all the foundation files. Insert your CD or do a full install.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Perhaps it is a permissions related issue. Somehow the Myth app might not have the privileges to modify the contents of the Myth2 folder. Does that ring any bells?

Check to see if there are more OS updates you need to install. One of the ones you used could have caused an issue that was later dealt with. A silly question by the way, did you restart the computer and try Myth again?
Welly

Solved....

Post by Welly »

Holy crap, I just figured it out for certain. Every once in awhile, I change the name of my hard drive to a new Latin phrase (a learning tool to force me to memorize something new every week or so) and recently I changed the hard drive name to: "De incerta certa ne fiant/si sapis caveas". When I changed it back to something without the / slash, everything is fine! Myth boots perfectly.

It's really weird, but this does seem to have been the issue, after all. Any ideas why? Perhaps something a later update can address?

Thanks for the assistance all this time guys.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Putting slashes in your filenames generally isn't a good idea. OSX uses the '/' for its filesystem. Usually the system can fudge around it ok, but it does cause problems now and then.
The cake is a lie.