Digging out Myth 2

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
ITPalg

Digging out Myth 2

Post by ITPalg »

Online searching led me here, among other places, to seek out how to install on W7 x64.

Popping in the CD normally, then clicking on the CD icon started up the Autoplay.exe, which I next clicked the install button.

wait...wait...5 min later still nothing...end setup.exe process.

Right click, run as admin on setup.exe....wait 5 min, nothing, end process.

Run in compat for 98. Same

Run in compat for 95. Same

Run in compat for 95 + run as admin. Same

Right click run as admin with run as 95 and run as admin box checked: Same

Checking every compatibility box in there for both autoplay and setup.exe did nothing. I sit there, go get a drink, come back, still no activity. Setup.exe process just sits there in the list.

I don't understand. I read some forums where people say they have it running on Windows 7, although they didn't specify 32 or 64 bit.

I don't want to have to use VMWare Player like I had to do for Nocturne.

After more searching with rewording, I found this thread here.

It is installed now but is there a way to play in windowed mode on one of my 3 1920x1080 screens (I doubt it can properly stretch in Surround)?

It starts in a tiny window but when I click the maximize button it fills the primary screen and keeps my mouse from going outside. Clicking the tiny button that changes text to Auto/Windowed/Fullscreen doesn't seem to do anything different. I can't stretch the tiny menu screen window out like I can with other more modern games to match the windowed res I want.
Last edited by ITPalg on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Digging out Myth 2

Post by Pyro »

Your CD might be scratched. I'm on Windows 8 (64-bit) and it worked for me. You could try a manual installation instead. Create a Myth II folder and copy the "tags" folder from the CD into your "Myth II" folder. Download the latest Myth 2 update for Windows and run it. When it asks for your myth folder point it at your Myth II folder. It will add the updated executable and other files. You should be set to play without the need for the CD.
ITPalg

Post by ITPalg »

read my post again.

I was in the middle of editing it.

btw it doesn't install copying the CD to the HD either.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

ITPalg wrote:It is installed now but is there a way to play in windowed mode on one of my 3 1920x1080 screens (I doubt it can properly stretch in Surround)?
ITPalg wrote:btw it doesn't install copying the CD to the HD either.
This confuses me. You installed it but it doesn't install? If you meant copying everything in the CD, this is not what I meant by manual installation. I meant, just the "tags" folder as that is all you need to run the game.

You can also copy the "cutscenes" folder and drop it in your Myth II folder, or grab the MOV version found here.

ITPalg wrote:It starts in a tiny window but when I click the maximize button it fills the primary screen and keeps my mouse from going outside. Clicking the tiny button that changes text to Auto/Windowed/Fullscreen doesn't seem to do anything different. I can't stretch the tiny menu screen window out like I can with other more modern games to match the windowed res I want.
That setting only affects "in-game" and not the main menu interface. You will only notice the difference when you load up a map/level. Currently the only way to play the game through multiple screens would be in windowed mode with Myth2 set to a resolution less than your desktop resolution.

Some of what you want will already be possible in the next Myth2 update, so you always have that to look forward to. :wink:
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Pyro wrote:Currently the only way to play the game through multiple screens would be in windowed mode with Myth2 set to a resolution less than your desktop resolution.
Presumably the driver virtualization of multiple screens (such as Eyefinity and whatever NVIDIA's brand name for it is) would work for Myth as well, but indeed there is no "built-in" support for multiple monitors.
ITPalg

Post by ITPalg »

Pyro wrote:
ITPalg wrote:It is installed now but is there a way to play in windowed mode on one of my 3 1920x1080 screens (I doubt it can properly stretch in Surround)?
ITPalg wrote:btw it doesn't install copying the CD to the HD either.
This confuses me. You installed it but it doesn't install? If you meant copying everything in the CD, this is not what I meant by manual installation. I meant, just the "tags" folder as that is all you need to run the game.

No I meant a normal install.

You can also copy the "cutscenes" folder and drop it in your Myth II folder, or grab the MOV version found here.

I already know this from the other thread I linked.

ITPalg wrote:It starts in a tiny window but when I click the maximize button it fills the primary screen and keeps my mouse from going outside. Clicking the tiny button that changes text to Auto/Windowed/Fullscreen doesn't seem to do anything different. I can't stretch the tiny menu screen window out like I can with other more modern games to match the windowed res I want.
That setting only affects "in-game" and not the main menu interface. You will only notice the difference when you load up a map/level. Currently the only way to play the game through multiple screens would be in windowed mode with Myth2 set to a resolution less than your desktop resolution.

Some of what you want will already be possible in the next Myth2 update, so you always have that to look forward to. :wink:
I at least want to be able to move my mouse out of the window since I do have multiple screens to view browser, and watch videos. Are you saying that I have to set something like 1680x1050 in order to have free movement of my mouse out of the game without Alt Tab? For example: When I play EQ II, I can freely move my mouse across all 3 screens without a mouse release key like there is for World of Tanks when that is in windowed mode.
punkUser wrote:
Pyro wrote:Currently the only way to play the game through multiple screens would be in windowed mode with Myth2 set to a resolution less than your desktop resolution.
Presumably the driver virtualization of multiple screens (such as Eyefinity and whatever NVIDIA's brand name for it is) would work for Myth as well, but indeed there is no "built-in" support for multiple monitors.

I wasn't expecting the game to support Surround as a game this old wouldn't have proper UI scaling or graphical scaling. There would be stretching (http://www.wsgf.org).
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

ITPalg wrote:
Pyro wrote:That setting only affects "in-game" and not the main menu interface. You will only notice the difference when you load up a map/level. Currently the only way to play the game through multiple screens would be in windowed mode with Myth2 set to a resolution less than your desktop resolution.

I at least want to be able to move my mouse out of the window since I do have multiple screens to view browser, and watch videos. Are you saying that I have to set something like 1680x1050 in order to have free movement of my mouse out of the game without Alt Tab?
Correct. When in any full screen mode, the mouse is locked inside the window and alt-tab is the only way around it. The next version (currently in development) supports a mouse release toggle.
ITPalg

Post by ITPalg »

Well I meant that what I understand is that there is no windowed mode available?

I know any game in full screen holds the mouse hostage.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

There is windowed mode, go in prefs and choose "windowed", put the resolution small enough that the window will fit on your desktop, and then the game will play in a window.