Can't run loathing

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Yakolew

Can't run loathing

Post by Yakolew »

I can't run loathing. When I start "Loathing.exe" is says "Could not find all foundation tags. Please insert the Myth II CD or do a large install."

I have made a large install and I have the CD.
Fear.exe seems to work. But all folders are empty.(Have no plans to use fear)

Running myth 1.7.2 on Windows 7 PE x64.
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: Can't run loathing

Post by Myrd »

It needs to be in your Myth II folder.
Yakolew

Post by Yakolew »

It is.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

When you installed the 1.7.2 update, did you use the updater or did you just grab the myth2 executable from a different place onto that folder?

So you have ..\Myth II\Loathing.exe in the same place you have "..\Myth II\tags" and "..\Myth II\Myth II.exe"?
Yakolew

Post by Yakolew »

Problem solved. I did use loathing from CD install. Not the updated one from 1.7.2 installer.

Thanks for your time
Yakolew

Post by Yakolew »

This was not as easy as I taught.

I don't want the supporting AI armies on map 23 Twice Born(mesh:24 battle 2) to use my veteran units.
If that is to hard(for a noob like me) or impossible to change, how can I make the supporting armies player controlled?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If you want all units controllable on singleplayer you can do the following:

Open that map on Loathing. Click on the flag icon which opens up the window for scripting (map actions). Scroll to the bottom and find "PLYC. 3 Players C0 0P". Select it. On the side you will see a parameter called "Player Count Greater Than". Select it. Now on the bottom box you will see a "2". Double click it and change it to a "0". Hit Ok and save the map. You can close it now.

Keep in mind this will mean you have the tag in your local folder and it will work for single player. But for multiplayer the local folder is ignored. To undo these changes, just delete your local folder to restore it back to default.

To just not control the other teams and keep your vets you can try the following:

Using a program like UnTag, which you can search for on the Tain. Open up the "small install" file in your "tags" folder. In the "mesh" section find the file called "24 battle 2". Extract that to your local folder so that it is like this: "..\Myth II\local\meshes\24 battle 2" That will restore that map to how it was before one of the updates which was to keep only one team and the vets will stay with those units.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

There's also a map called "Twice Reborn" that while not exactly what you are looking for gives 3 players each one set of the units.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

That alway happens without the plugin, VR as long as there are 3 players in the game.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Seriously? Since when?

If since forever, I must have misread the Twice ReBorn readme - I thought it was implying that multiple players getting different unit sets was a modification to the original way it worked from Bungie.

http://mythgraveyard.org/index.php?a=r002212
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Since 1.4.0, then it was taken out in 1.4.3. Then brought back in 1.5.0.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Ah thanks. I obviously need to read the release notes more closely.
Yakolew

Post by Yakolew »

Thanks you very much Pyro=D. I did the "PLYC. 3 Players C0 0P" thing. I would never had figure that out myself.

And I like that the changes are saved in a new file. Was afraid that I would destroy the map. Has it always been like that or is it a Project Magma feature?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

It was a Project Magma feature many years ago to make the map that Bungie had invisioned but for whatever reason did not follow through. As for losing your vets to the other units, that was an oversight that no one seemed to have noticed until it was too late. The problem with issues like those is that they require new tag files which can be problematic with the backwards compatibility. Maybe someday it will get resolved.

If anyone is interested in reading about changes from the past to the present, you can find them here.

The 1.4.1 readme includes a changelog from 1.0 to 1.4.1.
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Yakolew wrote:And I like that the changes are saved in a new file. Was afraid that I would destroy the map. Has it always been like that or is it a Project Magma feature?
It's always been like that. Fear and Loathing have always placed new files in the local folder instead of overwriting the original files.
The cake is a lie.