MII install hangs.

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
quenta

MII install hangs.

Post by quenta »

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and having some issues with installing. When I click the install button, it just hangs and hour glasses. I have attempted running it in compatibility mode with the same results. However, when I ran the Myth II 1.7.1 installer, I was able to run the game only after installing the 1.7.1. But that is the only way I can run the game, by installing the 1.7.1 over and over and selecting the "Run Myth II Soulblighter" option.

Any advice?
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: MII install hangs.

Post by Melekor »

Just to clarify, you talk about 2 installers, one of which is 1.7.1. I assume the other one is 1.7.2?

The normal way you install is:
1) Install from the original CD
2) Apply the latest (currently 1.7.2) updater

This way you can run the game by selecting the start menu shortcut added by the CD installer. If you did some kind of alternate manual install instead of (1), you won't have a start menu shortcut and you'll have to create your own shortcut to Myth II.exe.

As for the updater hanging, I have not heard of that issue. I run Win7 64 bit myself and have not had a problem. Make sure that you are able to run the installer with admin privileges, and that your install location is accessible. There might be issues if you choose an odd location such as a network drive as the install destination.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Sometimes if the Myth2 CD is badly scratched the installer might no longer work correctly. But you can just do a manual install if that happens.

For manual installing create a "Myth II" folder and inside it copy the "tags" folder from the CD to that folder. Then run the latest update and have it point to that Myth II folder. After that you no longer need the CD to run the game. You can also copy the "cutscenes" folder and move it into your Myth II folder if you want to use them for single player but you don't need them to play the game.

When you said you have to run the installer, do you mean the Myth2 exe file? The installer places the files you need to have the game updated while the Myth2 exe is what loads the game.
quenta

Post by quenta »

Pyro wrote:Sometimes if the Myth2 CD is badly scratched the installer might no longer work correctly. But you can just do a manual install if that happens.

For manual installing create a "Myth II" folder and inside it copy the "tags" folder from the CD to that folder. Then run the latest update and have it point to that Myth II folder. After that you no longer need the CD to run the game. You can also copy the "cutscenes" folder and move it into your Myth II folder if you want to use them for single player but you don't need them to play the game.

When you said you have to run the installer, do you mean the Myth2 exe file? The installer places the files you need to have the game updated while the Myth2 exe is what loads the game.
That worked perfect for me. Thank you so very much! I have been wanting to listen to the story again and the narrations between each mission are just phenomenal.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Wait, so the CD installer was hanging not the updater? How were you able to run the game from the 1.7.1 installer if the CD install never completed? :? Anyway, glad to hear you got it working.

BTW, if you just want to listen to the story and narrations, this site has them all online: http://www.mythjournals.com/