Game not loading

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
SirFragal0t

Game not loading

Post by SirFragal0t »

Guys I have a problem similiar to this but do need some help. Here is the error I get when I load Myth 2 with the latest patch of 1.7.2. I installed the Large install of the game. The log of the error is as follows---

2012-05-22 00:35:51
Myth II Build 374 running under Modern Windows 5.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
Intel Pineview Platform | Intel | OpenGL 1.4
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for font definition ' '.
Error: File system Open in .\Myth2Code\definitions.c, line #507: couldn't read header for font definition ' '.
Closing Myth.

I start the launcher. It seems to load but one black screen later I am back on the desktop. i have tried using compatibility modes( using the 640X480 option as well as Win98 option) but they did not help at all. My native resolution is at 1280X720 with 32 bit color setting. I tried lowering these for the game but they do not help.

I am using a netbook to play this. I have Windows XP SP3(build 2600). Its an Acer AO532H. It has intel Media Graphics Accelerator 3150 as an integrated graphics solution with 256 MB as shared video memory. The driver that was latest for this is 6.14.10.5260.

if anyone has a fix for this please help me out. If you have to know, The Fallen Lords works okay for me but only with version 1.3 installed.
Last edited by SirFragal0t on Mon May 21, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: crash cant even open the game

Post by Pyro »

Interesting issue you have. It sounds like there is something wrong with your Myth files. I suspect your foundation tag files (found in your "tags" folder inside Myth II) might be corrupt which can happen when you install from a scratched Myth CD.

Go to (http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/) and download the md5sums zip file. Use that program to find out the MD5 sum of the files inside your "tags" folder (but not cache):

international large install
international small install
large install
medium install
small install

An easy way to get the MD5 sum values is to place the md5sums executable in the same folder as these files. Then select the files and drag them onto the md5sums executable. A window will appear with the program scanning the files. When it is done right click on that window's top bar. Move the mouse to "Edit" and click on "Select All". After you see the text selected press Enter which just copied the text that was selected.

Now you can paste the text into your next post and delete the extra information that is not about those files and their MD5 sums (which is a series of numbers and letters).
SirFragal0t

Post by SirFragal0t »

Okay so I used the MD5Sums program on the tags folder. This is the result. I don't know what to make of it. Is one of them corrupt? I have to tell you that the version of the game from the install for Myth 2 is version 1.3. I don't have anything older than that.
I did this test when I have patched myth 2 to version 1.7.2.

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type C:\Downloads\md5sums-1.2\md5sums.exe -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\Program Files\Myth II\tags\]
international large install 100% 63de591595aba9521667b57120092b3e
international small install 100% 25585e99eea85a375f12993a7dee510a
large install 100% 22883afb13c83786ddee83e0d1ca4ed7
medium install 5335a2d28f60f1b60fcb8745534484ac
small install 100% c390941fe0693503a841ed85961b54d8

Press ENTER to exit

Note: On using the MD5sums on multiple testing sometimes it wouldn't check the files at all(like the above medium install thing) but the rest of the characters are the same in all tests.

Thanks in advance for replying!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Don't worry what version of Myth you have. The foundation tag files are the same no matter the version. However different localizations (French, German, etc) have slightly different files.

As I suspected. I compared your MD5 values with mine. Your "international small install" and "large install" have different values than mine. The error messages about font definitions indicate your "international small install" file is missing some font data. You might need to find a different Myth 2 CD and copy over those 2 files from the CD to your folder. You can buy used copies over at Ebay or Amazon. Before giving up on your current disc, see if you can clear the surface and access the CD to copy those two files. Get their MD5 values and see if they are different from the ones you gave me.

The size of my "international small install" file is 65.1 MB (68,275,062 bytes). The size for my "large install" file is 328 MB (344,430,340 bytes). As you can imagine the large install file is where most of the game's data is stored. If that is corrupt you might have all kinds of issues in the game.
Last edited by Pyro on Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SirFragal0t

Post by SirFragal0t »

Hi Pyro,

i checked the file sizes on my install from those files you mentioned. Thy are exactly the same sizes as you said in your last post. Is it possible that the file size may be copied the same but still be corrupt from the CD?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yes, even if they are the same size it is possible part of the data is different or just "empty" taking up the same space. But sometimes a CD reader can read a disc wrong at one point and read it correct at another. So it is worth cleaning your CD and load it up. Then grab the files from the CD instead of running the installer since you already have the game installed.
SirFragal0t

Post by SirFragal0t »

Well, thanks Pyro. Now I know I am screwed. Should have made a backup before. I'll have to think about ordering the game again. The shipping costs itself will be more costly then the actual game for me because I live in India. I'll have to go check the CD again. Can you post for me the sizes of the files in Tag and their MD5 values so I can check them again please.

Is this game available as a download like from www.gog.com ?

And thanks again for bearing with me.
SirFragal0t

Post by SirFragal0t »

Thank you Pyro. I'll get back to you in a day's time on the progress
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Game not loading

Post by Melekor »

Split into a separate topic. Discussion of piracy is prohibited on these forums, but since you do own the game CDs, you would be within your rights to download a "backup" copy of the game files that you legally purchased.