Constant Orbit Left

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
whogben

Constant Orbit Left

Post by whogben »

I just installed 1.72 on Snow Leopard MBP as an upgrade to an existing 1.5 installation. When I launch a level after the cutscenes finish the camera won't stop orbiting left. Not sure if it's related but I can't zoom in or out either, orbiting right seems to even it out so that it stops too.

Many thanks for any help you can offer. This game really inspired me as a kid, and now that I'm tutoring some kids in game development I want to show them, and see if it inspires them too.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Constant Orbit Left

Post by Melekor »

First of all try restarting your comp to rule out any stuck key issues. Secondly try deleting your Myth II preferences folder. Sometimes that solves weird issues, especially since you've just upgraded from a very old version.

If those didn't work, then let's proceed with the troubleshooting: If the camera is orbiting then myth believes the orbit control is activated. Orbiting can only be activated either by the mouse or the keyboard. To find out which is the problem, go into preferences > controls and try:

for the mouse: uncheck "enable mouse movement"
for the keyboard: remap the keys for orbiting to something different

I'm pretty sure at least one of those will have some effect on the symptoms you're seeing. Once you've tried, let us know what the results were, then we can try to figure out what's going on.
whogben

Post by whogben »

It's fixed - thank you so much!

I tried restarting and deleting preferences with no luck. Then I disabled mouse-movement, no effect.

After that I changed orbit from Q to , and it fixed the orbiting - but then the camera would pull backwards.

I changed move backwards from S to J, and then there was no unasked-for movement.

Weirdly enough, if I set the keys back to Q and S, the movement happens again - I can certainly make-do, but it's odd none the less.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

could be something with those 2 keys. i had a keyboard that had a similar issue, can't remember if it was rotating or some other screen function just looping - i forget exact key it was but it was acting as if the key was being held down constanty - but it wasn't and the keyboard worked fine in all my other apps, but when i remapped the key it stopped. a few weeks later that key started sticking in other apps. almost like myth was sensing the stuck key before other apps did - which i know doesn't seem reasonable, but the solution and the sequence of events sure seemed like that was what was hapenning.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

So it is a keyboard thing then. It is indeed odd that other apps aren't affected.

Can you post a copy of the file "myth_log.txt" from your myth folder? It will give us some information including which build of 1.7.2 you are running.

iirc, the classic and universal builds have slightly different input code. So if you try the other one than you are using now, it might affect the issue and narrow it down further for us.
whogben

Post by whogben »

I don't have a machine to try the classic version on unfortunately - here's the log file :)

Code: Select all

2012-03-16 14:03:33  
Myth II 32-Bit |iUniversal|p Build 374 running under MacOS 1073 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
	Found 1 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
	Found 1 to use
	NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT OpenGL Engine | NVIDIA Corporation | OpenGL 2.1
Loading Patch Files...
  Patch 1.2
  Patch MariusNet
  Patch 1.3
  Patch 1.4
  Patch 1.4 Interface
  Patch 1.5
  Patch 1.7 Templates
  Magma - Bungie Map Textures v1
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue.mov'.
Running OpenGL at 1440 x 900 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Willow Creek"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Quitting single player game...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
OpenGL: initialized with ErasePreviousFrame=0, Use32BitTextures=1, UseAppleClientStorage=1, UseDepthTest=1, UseShaders=1, UpdateCMapChunked=1
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Closing Myth.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

MacOS 1073 - isn't that Lion? I'm not sure what else I can suggest at this point for getting 1.7.2 working, but would you like to help us beta test 1.8? 1.8 uses cocoa for input where previous versions used carbon. I'm curious if the issue will disappear with the new code.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Maybe there is a minor update that you haven't gotten that fixes the issue? If not, maybe trying a 1.8.0 beta will do the trick.
whogben

Post by whogben »

I'd love to help beta test. I don't play that often but I could certainly let you know if it clears up the code and try out a few other issues. Whatever OSX version is the current latest official - I haven't put the new OSX beta on yet (burned by a beta OSX in the past).
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Great, I'll add you to the private testers group. You'll be able to see the private testers forum and download the latest builds there. Please post any bugs you find, or feedback you have in the relevant threads.
syntxrr

Post by syntxrr »

I am having this same issue. Stuck in orbit. Have tried the above mentioned fixes. Nothing works. I am running Mac OS X 10.7.3 and would gladly help with the 1.8 beta testing.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Added you as well. Please give some feedback about this if you can, the last guy seems to have disappeared.
syntxrr

Post by syntxrr »

Ok, Thanks, sorry it's been a while. Where can I access?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

So you still have this constant orbit issue? Will you disappear shortly after your post like last time before trying a beta? :wink:
syntxrr

Post by syntxrr »

Pyro wrote:So you still have this constant orbit issue? Will you disappear shortly after your post like last time before trying a beta? :wink:
Well, I'm on a different machine now, but I can give it a test. I still have the other computers I may have been playing on. I'll fire them all up and see if I am still experiencing the glitch on any of my systems.

And, I won't disappear, I checked here shortly after you replied before, but I did not see any access to a private forum or a place to get the beta after you said you added me. I hadn't tried back here for a long while. I'll check my email connected to this accout more regularly now.