Myth II OSX launch error

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
nepenthe

Myth II OSX launch error

Post by nepenthe »

hey guys,

I am receiving an error when i try to launch Myth II: "cannot set exclusive mode. Myth II is already running or the Myth directory is marked read-only". Neither of those situations are true, BTW. I have tried copying the Myth II folder to a different directory, deleting the "Myth II (Universal).app" file and reinstalling from 1.7.2... still getting the same error.

This is a bummer. Any ideas?
(I am running Mac OSX 10.7)
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Myth II OSX launch error

Post by Melekor »

Does Myth have permission to write to the folder where it is installed? Try looking at the security/access permissions. I'm not sure where you'd find those settings on a mac, someone else would probably be able to tell you that.
nepenthe

Post by nepenthe »

I set permissions to the Myth II folder to be read/writable by everyone. The parent Applications folder shouldn't need any modification... Although I did move the Myth II folder to a different directory and I still get the same problem.

However, Myth II will launch if I copy the same Myth II folder to a machine running OSX 10.6. So perhaps the problem is somehow related to OSX 10.7?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Try moving the Myth II folder to somewhere outside of /Applications? e.g. to your home folder?
nepenthe

Post by nepenthe »

I tried moving and copying the folder to my home directory. That did not resolve the problem.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

What does your "myth_log" contain? It is a text file located in your Myth2 folder that gets overwritten each time you try to open Myth2. Copy/paste its contents into your next post. There are other users who have 10.7 and have not ran into this issue.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Has this error been diagnosed and/or resolved? I've just d/l'ed update 1.8.0 (most recent update I used was 1.7.2) and I'm getting the same error as the OP under 10.9.1.

My log.txt:

2014-01-05 16:37:51
Myth II |iUniversal|p Build 427 running under MacOS 1091 (Intel) ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
Initial count: 9
Number removed: 0
Number added: 0
New count: 9
DEBUG: Adding 7 monolithic tags:
small install
medium install
large install
international small install
international large install
Patch Templates
Magma - Detail Texture Megapack
Cannot set exclusive mode. Myth II is already running, or the Myth directory is marked read-only.

TIA, and apologies if this was posted in the wrong place.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I'm surprised no one has replied to your post yet, unless one of the recent downtimes caused replies to get lost.

Did you try to alter the permissions set for Myth2 as mentioned in older posts of this thread? Or how about what Myrd suggested of moving the myth2 folder outside of Applications?

The Myth2 app needs permission to right in the Myth II folder for things like the myth_log.txt file and altering the preferences folder files.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

You have to check that all the sub-folders of Myth are also read/write for everyone. Also, make sure Myth isn't running already - e.g. by another logged in user.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Just to follow up, I eventually got Myth II working by installing a fresh copy in my root /Applications directory. No amount of tinkering with folder permissions in my old location would allow the game to start - which is odd, since it worked as recently as 1.7.4. But no matter; I've got my Myth back. :D