Myth 2 1.7.2 mouse cursor 3dfx glide

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Justin

Myth 2 1.7.2 mouse cursor 3dfx glide

Post by Justin »

Hi all,

Cool that this great game still has places for support. I'm having problems with the unofficial patches. When installing the patch and starting a game the mouse cursor dissapears. This only occurs in 3dfx glide mode. I've tried the game with voodoo2 sli and a voodoo5. With the latest official patch the mouse is ok but it tends to crash sometimes when saving the game.
Anyone knows why this is? did the people at this site make the patches?

Thanks
Justin

Mod Edit--------
Solution was:
1) Fix savegame crash by Disabling triple colour buffering in the Voodoo Control Panel.
2) Fix the missing cursor by using this patch: http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/tmp/My ... ix%201.exe
Last edited by Melekor on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sticky, add solutions
Myrd
Site Admin

Re: Myth 2 1.72 mouse cursor

Post by Myrd »

I'm afraid 3dfx mode is not something that is tested very well when we make the updates.

Can you go back to previous updates and see which version is the last version where the mouse cursor worked correctly?

You can download previous updates from here:

http://projectmagma.net/downloads/myth2_past_updates/

Also, can you give more details about your system specs, such as operating system version, etc.

Thanks!
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Also, assuming you're on Windows, can you post the contents of myth_log.txt when the game crashes (when using 1.7.2)?
Justin

Post by Justin »

Thanks for fast response!

I've updated my Voodoo2 drivers and the crashing when pressing "Save game" with the official patch 1.3 is gone now I think (for now, played 2 missions).

System specs
=============
Windows 98 Second Edition
Pentium 2 233 mhz
128 MB RAM
Matrox G450 agp
Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo 2 12 mb (sli)
=============

Just installed every patch from the link you gave me, every patch improved performance and everything including the mouse kept working. Except for the latest 1.72 patch, it breaks the mouse in glide mode. It was also the only patch that didn't ask whether to install classic or modern myth.

Looking forward to your reply!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

So when you tried the older patches like 1.7.1, did you try the "modern" or just the "classic"?
Justin

Post by Justin »

Classic for all of them, only with 1.71 i could check modern. Older patches had it grayed out.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

The 3dfx glide hardware cursor code was removed in 1.7.2, I'm not sure why exactly, but looking at the comment logs it appears we thought at the time that it was either unused or unnecessary. I'll add it back in now and make you a test build (could take a couple hours). If that works we can update the 1.7.2 installer, or at least sticky the patched version here for others.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Btw I just want to add that I'm impressed that you still have a computer that works with a 3dfx card :) I remember my 3dfx cards fondly...
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Here's a build for you to try out - let us know if it fixes the issue :)

http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/tmp/My ... ix%201.exe
Justin

Post by Justin »

It works!! Thanks man, great job;). Again awesome that there are still people out there supporting this game and helping others out!

about the savegame crashing; i think its because i enabled "triple colour buffering" in the voodoo2 control panel. more games tend to crash so if theres anyone out there still using 3dfx (not likely :p) you can try switching that off.

I'm off now, good night!
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

With all due respect Justin, may I ask if that PC is your only PC?
Justin

Post by Justin »

Yes you may. It isn't my only pc of course.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Justin wrote:It works!! Thanks man, great job;). Again awesome that there are still people out there supporting this game and helping others out!

about the savegame crashing; i think its because i enabled "triple colour buffering" in the voodoo2 control panel. more games tend to crash so if theres anyone out there still using 3dfx (not likely :p) you can try switching that off.

I'm off now, good night!
Excellent, glad we could get that resolved so quickly! :) Good catch on the triple buffering thing.

I'll edit and sticky the OP with the solutions in case anyone else has the same issue.
Eddaweaver

Re: Myth 2 1.7.2 mouse cursor 3dfx glide

Post by Eddaweaver »

Typically there'll be a jumper on the motherboard to increase the FSB from 66MHz to 75MHz which was what I did. It is unlikely the CPU would have a trouble with 262.5MHz but some weak HDDs and 66MHz SDRAM modules may not like being overclocked. I once blew a 66MHz SDRAM module by thoughtlessly putting it in a 100MHz FSB system, but 75MHz is less likely to cause damage. Some HDDs won't run with a 37.5MHz PCI bus and will yield corruption errors at boot time, but most work fine. PC100 and PC133 SD RAM is fairly cheap second hand anyway. But if it is a 1997 vintage system it might have EDO Ram.
Btw I just want to add that I'm impressed that you still have a computer that works with a 3dfx card :) I remember my 3dfx cards fondly...
And Matrox. Nice, clear text and good colours on VGA with extensive video mode tweaking options at a time when almost all other video cards took a Soviet approach to 2D analogue output.
punkUser
Site Admin

Re: Myth 2 1.7.2 mouse cursor 3dfx glide

Post by punkUser »

Wow man, got serious flashbacks reading that post :) Hardware has come a long way.