Myth II Installation Error

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Sven

Myth II Installation Error

Post by Sven »

Hi all, Myth II was my favourite game as a teen & I've been hankering to play it again. However on re-installing it I've been getting a particularly bizarre error: the game installs fine, but when loaded a box comes up saying Myth?????????????????????????????????????????????????? and nothing else, & then exits. I've downloaded the latest Windows 1.7.2 patch from Project Magma & installed it, but it hasn't made any difference & I can't come up with anything for that error on Google (which might be because Google's confused by the question marks). My computer runs XP SP3, has no known issues with other games, & I've virus-checked both the patch download & the CD, both are clean. Thanks very much for any help you can give!
Cheers,

Sven
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth II Installation Error

Post by Pyro »

Inside your Myth II folder you should find a myth_log text file. Open it and copy/paste its contents here. It might have information that would explain the error.
Sven

Post by Sven »

The Myth_log.txt is very short:

05.22.110 14:55:28 loathing running under WinNT ----------------------------------------------
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

That log is from Loathing. Can you launch Myth II and paste the log from Myth?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

When you load up Myth2, Fear, or Loathing it overwrites the myth_log. So try to open Myth2 and then copy/paste the log. Also, remember you need to install the game before that update can be of any use to you. (Just saying because sometimes people assume the update is all that is needed to make it work with an incomplete copy of Myth2.)
Sven

Post by Sven »

Thanks for your help guys! The game refused to load at all, so the myth 2 log couldn't be overwritten, & I guess that loathing log stayed from the last time I used it. So I just uninstalled the game, reinstalled it & the update without fear & loathing, & now it works. Still no idea what went wrong but problem solved, I can live without fear & loathing for the moment. Cheers!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Fear and Loathing wouldn't cause any issues. It does not tamper with other files, just addes a few more. Run the update again and install Fear and Loathing (unless you don't plan on using them). Something else must have gone wrong or missing, but it wasn't Fear or Loathing.