assert on Linux

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
stef

assert on Linux

Post by stef »

Hello,

I am trying to run Myth II 1.7.2 on a Linux laptop (Ubuntu Natty, 64bit) and I have the following error at the end of the first cut-scene:

Assertion 'pa_atomic_load(&(b)->_ref) > 0' failed at pulsecode/memblock.c:589, function pa_memblock_unref(). Aborting.

I believe that pa_memblock_unref is part of pulseaudio so the problem is probably related to the sound system. Strangely, the Linux Demo works fine on that system (with sound).

The problem could also be related to how I installed the game. My laptop has no CD drive so I transferred the full content of the CD in a directory and then I used the installer to 'upgrade' that directory.
stef

Re: assert on Linux

Post by stef »

I forgot to mention that sound is playing fine during the first cut-scene.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Are you using the Smacker, MPEG or Quicktime cutscenes?
stef

Post by stef »

Obviously some Smacker since the file extension is smk.

I just renamed the cut-scene directory and that seems to solve the problem. I have to admit that I used an ISO downloaded on the internet. That was easier than to find my original Linux CD and to figure out a way to transfer its content to my laptop. I kind of remember that the cutscenes were mpeg or quicktime on that CD since they were readable with a regular movie player.

I just played one level and the game seem to work smoothly. Nice job you have done here.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The cutscenes found in the Windows/Mac CD of Myth2 are in Smacker format. The CD for the Loki Linux port had them in MPEG format. One of the changes over the years in the updates to the game gave the option to use the QuickTime format of the cutscenes found at The Tain.

I know the Windows build of Myth2 can use either smacker or quicktime. The Mac OSX (Universal/Intel) build can only use quicktime and the classic Mac (PPC) build can only use smacker. The 1.7.2 Linux build I think can use quicktime? Myrd what format can Linux use for the cutscenes?
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Pyro wrote:The 1.7.2 Linux build I think can use quicktime? Myrd what format can Linux use for the cutscenes?
It can use all three formats. (It actually uses the 'ffplay' program to play them - recent version of which support all three just fine.)
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Does it work fine if you use Quicktime cutscenes ( http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... -cutscenes )?

Can you paste the output of 'ffplay -version' on your system?

Thanks!