OSX Lion / 2011 MBP = No Fear, Loathing

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Khadrelt

Re: OSX Lion / 2011 MBP = No Fear, Loathing

Post by Khadrelt »

I upgraded my desktop to Lion, but I've kept my MacBook on Snow Leopard for the express purpose of running Rosetta apps. So far I like Lion, with the exception of a few issues. I'm not so much concerned with the dropping of support for older architectures as I am the trend Apple is on of 'dumbing down' everything—like they assume everyone who uses a computer is a complete idiot and they have to hold your hand through everything. For instance, on Lion the Library folder is hidden by default. Maybe a Mac newbie might not have much use for it, but I use the Library folder all the time. Another example is the removal of advanced QuickTime export options, leaving only a couple of generic options like 'for iPod Touch' or 'for iPad.'

Most befuddling at all, though, is the removal of the 'Do Not Replace' option in Move/Copy dialog boxes. Before you could drag a whole bunch of files into a backup folder on a disk, for instance, and then hit 'Do Not Replace' so it would only copy over the new files and skip the duplicates. Not anymore. Now all you can do is 'Replace All,' which takes a lot more copying time depending on how many duplicate files there are, or 'Keep Both Files,' which renames the duplicates and keeps two copies of the file. I don't get it. The sheer lack of reason for that change has me completely baffled.

I also really don't like the way the iOS-ing of OS X is going. I like iOS devices, but I DON'T want my computer to end up like them. Yikes.
The cake is a lie.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Myrd wrote:I have not confirmed this on Lion, though I have done this on Snow Leopard on the past.
I would expect they work for the most part, depending on what you want to do. Fear probably works perfectly. I'd bet Loathing might have some weirdness; though I could be wrong.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

have to agree about the dumbing down. apple is trying to make using a computer as mindless as using an iPod. which might be fine for some, i know a lot of people who _literally_ have no idea how to find photos or mp3s on their macs, they just fire up iPhoto or iTunes and it's magic. sadly some of these people are in my own family. BUT BUT BUT I want options, i wouldn't mind if Apple's simplistic quicktime export was the default and you could get 'power user' options by holding down the apple key or something, but removing them is just criminal. then again, maybe Apple is trying to make you buy the 'pro' version of QuickTime.
Tyrfing

Post by Tyrfing »

A quick-and-dirty fix is to run the Windows versions of Fear & Loathing under Wine; simply dragging the Fear, Loathing, and SMACKW32.DLL files from the Windows 1.7.2 update seems to work (I used The Unarchiver to decompress the updater exe, but you can also install it directly with Wine).
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

We are working on Universal Binary versions of Fear and Loathing for Myth II 1.8. If you're interested in testing these, please send me a private message.