Can't run Myth II on Windows XP

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
The Vile

Can't run Myth II on Windows XP

Post by The Vile »

Hello, ProjectMagma! I've been more than one year separated from gaming (and thus Myth series), but now I'm back on! But I return asking for some bad things happening...

Yesterday I downloaded Myth II 1.6 from here, but I install it and none runs... If I try to run the game, the error window says: "Could not find all the foundation files. Insert your CD or do a full install", and the myth_log file says: "2008-11-25 08:30:00
Myth II Classic Build 290 running under Win98 ----------------------------------------------
Could not find all the foundation files. Insert your CD or do a full install".

The same goes for both Fear and Loathing (Loathing doesn't even run and Fear doesn't display the full content of tags for each tag folder). Can anyone please shed some little light on this dark situation?

By the way, my Windows is XP Professional 2002, service pack 3.

OK, I'm going for now...
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

gotta do a full install if you want to play without CD! :)

just load your CD, go in the tags folder and copy whichever ones you dont have in your myth tags folder on your harddrive.
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
Methusela

Post by Methusela »

Did this solution work?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

You should always do a "large install" (full install) for Myth. The game isn't that big, and if you don't then you need the CD in the CD drive so the game loads the missing files. You can't load the game if you are missing part of it.
The Vile

Post by The Vile »

Well, I had to re-buy my MYTH II CD again (my previous one was been stolen and destroyed) and it installs Myth II v1.0.0.0 (the most rudimentar one), while the other had Myth II v1.2... Anyway, thank you all a lot for supporting me on this one! I'm feeling waaaay better now!

Okay, I'm going for now...
If ya wanna war, come into! I'll be waiting for you!
cr8383942

Re: Can't run Myth II on Windows XP

Post by cr8383942 »

So, I have a variant of this problem. Same message - but on Max OS 10.9. The problem is, I can't run a large install as the installer on the CD isn't compatible anymore, it won't run. I dragged the large install tag to my Myth folder, but no good. Any ideas to get around this? Are there other files I can manually copy to make it work? I had been mounting the CD for years without issue, but suddenly that's not working.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Can't run Myth II on Windows XP

Post by Pyro »

Run the update (1.8.0 at this moment) which you can find at the Tain. It has an option to install the game from the CD. This will grab the files from your CD since the original installer only worked for classic Mac OS and not OS X.

If that fails, which it shouldn't, you could always do a manual install. Create a "Myth II" folder and copy the "tags" folder from the CD. Then run the latest update to patch the game to the latest version which will give you the rest.