How do you add new units? - Putting new units on old maps

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

Alright here we go. I got Topaz, then proceeded to extract the unit file I wished to use. Belial in this case. I put the belial unit file into my unit folder in my local. I also put all of the Belial related files into their respective folders in local as well. I then proceeded to place Belial on a map. I put him on Village, or Willow Creek as its called in-game. He appears in Loathing just as he does in Scourge. I save the map, then close Loathing. Then I start up Myth 2 and try to play Willow Creek. The load screen gets to the end, and then the game dumps me back out to main menu. To even play willow creek, I have to open up Village, delete Belial, restart my computer, and then it will work again. What the hell am I doing wrong? Is willow creek incompatible with the Belial unit? I think its something more than that, because I tried to do the same thing with Balor from the TFL conversion and the same problem happens. I get dumped back out to main menu. This is driving me insane. Somebuddy out there please help me!
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
fear

Post by fear »

posting a mythlog.txt would help
"Be Yourself, Screw Reputation"
Lord Thanos

Post by Lord Thanos »

Alright then, here's my Myth_log.txt-
2004-03-27 13:19:48 Myth II 1.4.3 Build 124 running under WinNT ----------------------------------------------
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Using GDI for Input
Mouse appears to have 5 buttons and 3 axes.
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Error: Data Corrupted in .\Myth 2\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3246: the monolithic file 'plugins\myth_log.txt' has no header

Running Direct3D (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700) at 1600 x 1200, 16 bit
Starting mesh "Willow Creek"...
Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for collection reference definition 'twnm'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #584: mesh_effect definition postprocess failed on 'MEEF Belial Defense Xplosion'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for object definition 'obra'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #584: projectile definition postprocess failed on 'PROJ Belial Long Range 01'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for object definition 'obbb'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #584: projectile definition postprocess failed on 'PROJ Belial Dying Body'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for object definition 'twio'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #584: projectile definition postprocess failed on 'PROJ Belial Sword'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for object definition 'twio'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #584: projectile definition postprocess failed on 'PROJ Belial Staff Falling'.

Error: File system Open in .\Myth 2\definitions.c, line #499: couldn't read header for object
It seems that Belial has way more problems than Balor. I hope this helps you guys to figure out my problem.
Thanos
Thanos A.K.A "Ravanosh"
Ferter

Post by Ferter »

It looks to me like you have not copyed all the related files.
Which ones to be exact i wouldnt know :D
A safe bet if you dont mind wasting harddrive space is to extract the whole plugin into your local folder.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

not needed. The myth_log.txt tells you most of what you need to know there. couldnt reader header definition '(header goes here)' in collection reference. Ok...so it's telling you you're missing the collection ref. Go on to the next tag, it will tell you all the files you're missing. copy over the ones you need, then try again....likely you will be missing more....if not, it will load :) If you're on a mac you can use an app called 'head edit' that tells you headers of tags (and allows you to edit them...duh). If you're unsure if you have the correct tag...just toss it onto HeadEdit and it will tell you....you can match up the header to the one given in the log. If you ARENT on a mac...you have to do it the slightly longer way. You can check the tags in fear....if you select a tag and 'Get Info' it will tell you the header name, and the tag name....that works, but means you ahve to boot up fear every time you want to check a new tag. Good luck! :D