Hosting Via Android 4.3 as Mobile Hotspot

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
Lithander

Hosting Via Android 4.3 as Mobile Hotspot

Post by Lithander »

Hi, like the title says, I am trying to use my android phone as a mobile hotspot, and host a myth game with it.

I found a port forwarding app, but it seems to cut off my tethering when I run it. Has anyone done anything like this before?

EDIT: I found another app that doesn't disable my tethering, but the host doesn't work and the port is reported as closed.
Last edited by Lithander on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lithander

Re: Hosting Via Android 4.3 as Mobile Hotspot

Post by Lithander »

It seems as though the IP my hotspot reports is different from the IP I get when looking at sites like findmyip and web-based port checking tools.
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Mobile hotspots almost always end up sharing IPs/doing NAT at an ISP level. Even if you resolve any port forwarding on the hotspot device itself, there's still sharing going on at a higher level. Short story... you're not going to be able to host Myth on that as it currently stands. There's some ongoing metaserver and client work that should solve the issue (at the cost of some latency) by proxying connections through the metaserver but it's hard for me to estimate when that will be available given the volunteer nature of Myth development.

Hopefully not too long... for my part it's definitely still on the near-term list of things to do... but no promises.
Lithander

Post by Lithander »

Will this be an option for hosts? So if they have their own portforwarding setup and ready they can have lower latency by doing it the old fashioned way?
punkUser
Site Admin

Post by punkUser »

Lithander wrote:Will this be an option for hosts? So if they have their own portforwarding setup and ready they can have lower latency by doing it the old fashioned way?
Yeah it'll likely be an option and/or the metaserver will detect when a host is unreachable and automatically switch to proxying connections. Definitely hosting with port forwarding is still the preferred option.