Myth II 1.8 GNU/Linux installation

A forum for solving problems that might be encountered during installation, updating, or in game.
slamelov

Myth II 1.8 GNU/Linux installation

Post by slamelov »

Hi

I'm trying to install Myth II in Linux using the 1.8 patch, but I'm having a problem with the CD. After executing the installer, I choose install from the CD and press "next", but id doesn't detect it. It's the original CD. A menu appears with 2 options: OIK, and "select disc location", but it doesn't work.

The CD works and it's not damaged

Any help?
akula65

Re: Myth II 1.8 GNU/Linux installation

Post by akula65 »

I see the same issue in openSUSE 12.3 x86_64. Selecting either the "OK" or "Select disc location" option and clicking OK does nothing except make that dialog screen go away. I should note that I use Dolphin to view the CD-ROM contents prior to performing the install, and that window is still open, so there is no question that the CD-ROM is mounted. In my case, if I go up a directory, the path shown is /Root/var/run/media/MYTH2.

So the dialog box to select the proper path exists, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The need for the "select path" option was discussed previously since there is no agreement among distro developers as to where various types of optical or other media should be mounted/automounted anymore.

slamelov,

Since there is no way to know how long it may take the devs to address this issue, here is a way to manually install and update the game to Version 1.8.0 in Linux:

1. Create a directory where you want Myth II to be installed.
2. Copy the tags folder from your Myth II CD-ROM into your Myth II directory you created in Step 1.
3. Go to this page and download the Myth II QuickTime Cutscene:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... -cutscenes
4. Create a directory within the Myth II directory created in Step 1 called cutscenes and copy the .mov files you downloaded in Step 3 into this directory.
5. Create the following directories within the Myth II directory created in Step 1:
local
metaservers
plugins
preferences
recordings
6. Confirm that you have created the correct directory structure. Use a terminal window/command prompt to execute the following command in the Myth II directory created in Step 1: ls -R
You should get the following result:
.:
cutscenes local metaservers plugins preferences recordings tags

./cutscenes:
01.mov 09.mov 17.mov 25.mov prologue.mov
04.mov 14.mov 20.mov epilogue.mov

./local:

./metaservers:

./plugins:

./preferences:

./recordings:

./tags:
international large install large install plugin cache
international small install medium install small install

You now have a base installation to which you can apply the Version 1.8.0 Linux update.
7. Run the Myth II 1.8.0 Installer and choose "Upgrade existing Myth II installation to version 1.8.0" in the Installation Type screen. Click the "Continue" button.
8. In the Destination Select screen click the "Browse" button and locate the directory you created in Step 1. When it is selected, click the "OK" button and proceed with the installation.

Good luck!
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

Thank you very much, Akula.

It works!.
akula65

Post by akula65 »

slamelov wrote:It works!.
Glad to hear it.

For the sake of completeness, I should mention that I initially did not have sound in openSUSE 12.3 x86_64 although myth_log.txt indicated that an OpenAL device was detected. The problem was that Myth II is a 32-bit application, but I only had 64-bit support through the libopenal1 and openal-soft libraries that were already installed. I had to install the following with the package manager in order to get OpenAL sound to function:

libopenal0-32bit
libopenal1-32bit

Other Linux distributions may require different libraries, but one or more libraries that provide 32-bit support will be required.

Also, in order to view the cutscenes, it was necessary to install ffmpeg and its dependencies. Other distributions may provide different libraries to view mpeg files.
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

Sound works fine for me. Kubuntu 13.10 64
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

I've updated the Linux installer so that selecting a CD manually works now.
akula65

Post by akula65 »

And it works in openSUSE 12.3 x64.

Thanks!
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

I'm trying to install it in Kubuntu 14.04 64 bits, and says:

Code: Select all

error: Could not load library 'libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0'. libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
But I have installed that library...

Any help?

Thanks
akula65

Post by akula65 »

Ahhh, but do you have the 32-bit library or the 64-bit library? I am guessing that you need to install the 32-bit version (or one that has 32-bit support). This sounds like a problem similar to the one I mentioned above with OpenAL.
slamelov

Post by slamelov »

64 bits library. Ill check for a 32...

It doesn't work, I downloaded the .deb and says: "ERROR: It brokes existing package libgtk2.0-bin"
akula65

Post by akula65 »

On my 64-bit openSUSE 12.3 system I have all of the following installed without issue:

libgtk-2_0-0
libgtk-2_0-0-32bit
libgtk-3-0

Looking at the Dependencies in the package manager, libgtk-2_0-0-32bit is the package that provides libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0. libgtk-2_0-0 provides a 64-bit version of that library, but you need the 32-bit version for Myth.

In theory, nothing should prevent you from having both 32-bit and 64-bit packages installed simultaneously unless your distribution has been set up strictly for 64-bit operation. It is possible you have uncovered one or more bugs in your particular Kubuntu distribution. In any event, this appears to be an issue with your particular distribution rather than a Myth issue since the installer (and app) works in other 64-bit distros for both of us, including an earlier version of 64-bit Kubuntu. You might consider posting in a Kubuntu-specific support forum and see if anybody has run into a similar problem when trying to install 32-bit libraries and run 32-bit apps on this specific 64-bit version.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
toffuuu2010

Post by toffuuu2010 »

i am having an issue with installation from CD and I am on xubuntu 13.10 64 Bit and when i try to run the installer file in terminal gives me this error, "" ./installer
Error: Could not load library 'libXtst.so.6'.
libXtst.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ""
help please would love to play this again...
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Did you try googling the error?

this looks like it could be helpful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1735 ... bxtst-so-6
akula65

Post by akula65 »

toffuuu2010,

As mentioned above in this thread, the general problem here is that you are trying to run a 32-bit application (the Myth 2 installer and Myth 2 itself) on a 64-bit Linux distribution, but you don't have the necessary 32-bit libraries installed (64-bit libraries are not sufficient). As noted in Melekor's link, the solution is to install the necessary 32-bit library. I would recommend this link as well since it indicates how to use http://packages.ubuntu.com/ to determine what package contains the library you need and how to use apt-get to install the package for the i386 architecture (32-bit):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/404725/g ... untu-13-10

You may have to follow this general procedure to install a number of 32-bit libraries to satisfy the dependencies of the Myth 2 installer and Myth 2 itself.
toffuuu2010

Post by toffuuu2010 »

yea some of the stuff worked now im having an issue with in game sounds not at all happening, have already tried thru terminal that is the libopenal0-32bit or libopenal0:i386 just says unable to locate.... the sound however for the cutscenes stuff works tho... just not when playing the game.... any ideas. have tried to look on google at least with terms like xubuntu 13.10 64 bit libopenal 32 bit if anythng is there am not at all seeing it, my eyes not very good right now, effect from somehing i have... any suggestions and thanks to all for the help so far :)