Sound Problems After Importing Imto Fear

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Battlewagon

Sound Problems After Importing Imto Fear

Post by Battlewagon »

Hey guys,

Recently I've begun to experiment with sounds in Myth 2. Using audacity, I've been able to create a decent iTunes sound file and successfully imported it into Fear. However, once it has been imported, it is slowed down by and incredible margin. To the point were the main menu music (I was making a new main menu sound track) was so slow each drum beat was 2 or 3 seconds apart.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? If so any possible solutions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

BattleWagon
juliocpaes

Re: Sound Problems After Importing Imto Fear

Post by juliocpaes »

Battlewagon wrote:Hey guys,

Recently I've begun to experiment with sounds in Myth 2. Using audacity, I've been able to create a decent iTunes sound file and successfully imported it into Fear. However, once it has been imported, it is slowed down by and incredible margin. To the point were the main menu music (I was making a new main menu sound track) was so slow each drum beat was 2 or 3 seconds apart.

Has anyone ever dealt with this before? If so any possible solutions will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

BattleWagon
Hi B.Wagon,

Which the version "FEAR" that you are using ? an older version of Fear which had that bug ... :o
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

It's been a long time, and I am sure someone else has the table picture offhand, but from what I remember, Myth doesn't read sounds right unless they are (I think here, I don't remember) mono, and a certain quality range kpbs.

Pyro might have the picture handy if he's around.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Jon God wrote:It's been a long time, and I am sure someone else has the table picture offhand, but from what I remember, Myth doesn't read sounds right unless they are (I think here, I don't remember) mono, and a certain quality range kpbs.

Pyro might have the picture handy if he's around.
I used Fear 1.7.2 (because 1.8.0 have a bug on sound).

file sound need it be :

mono
22.050 hz
sound "wav"
16 bit

suggestion converter online :

http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
Point

Post by Point »

a new version of fear sounds like a good thing to try
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

This issue is very old, and seems to have nothing to do with Fear. I posted pretty extensively in the 1.8.1 beta discussion about it, along with GodzFire.

What seems to be happening (since probably v1.7 was released several years ago) is that stereo sounds---even the "stock" stereo Bungie sounds themselves---become highly distorted when placed on a map. They slow down incredibly.

Note that selecting a stereo sound as a "default" map sound via Fear will not produce this issue. Only when they're placed via Loathing. There are numerous 3rd party plugins effected, "Coming of the Dark I" being the most recent I've personally discovered.

While the issue does need to be addressed once and for all, in the meantime the only way around it is to mixdown the stereo sound to mono before saving.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Point wrote:a new version of fear sounds like a good thing to try
PoinT,

Yes, but occasionally I alternate between 1.7 and 1.8 when something does not work, as in my case cited about sound ... :wink:
Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon »

Hey guys sorry for the late response....I haven't been on lately...

I currently have the latest version of fear 1.8. But I can try downloading a 1.7.2 version and see if it works. Thanks :)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Jon God wrote:Pyro might have the picture handy if he's around.
He meant this image I made that gives some details on sounds.