Help!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Viktor

Help!

Post by Viktor »

Pretty noob question here I suppose but I have been struggling with Fear and just can't figure out how to do this...
I want to make an attack that's like a hand grenade, but when it explodes it creates a area of effect that confuses units, with a gas floating around for the duration of the effect, and the units running around for a few seconds like they do when instant confusion is cast. It's a "gas cloud" bomb, but it does no damage, only causes confusion when a unit or units are hit by it. For some reason I can't get confusion effect to last on units unless they are damaged, and "proportional to mana" option only works with attacks that "center on target".
Can anyone give me some advice?
juliocpaes

Re: Help!

Post by juliocpaes »

Viktor wrote:Pretty noob question here I suppose but I have been struggling with Fear and just can't figure out how to do this...
I want to make an attack that's like a hand grenade, but when it explodes it creates a area of effect that confuses units, with a gas floating around for the duration of the effect, and the units running around for a few seconds like they do when instant confusion is cast. It's a "gas cloud" bomb, but it does no damage, only causes confusion when a unit or units are hit by it. For some reason I can't get confusion effect to last on units unless they are damaged, and "proportional to mana" option only works with attacks that "center on target".
Can anyone give me some advice?
Hi Viktor,

First, what are you playing ? green Berets ? or Myth ? your unit is a dwarf ( "hand grenade" with gas floating around / gas cloud / mana ?)

you can be more specific ...? :)

Julio
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

It's for my Sengoku mod...

It's a unit that should throw a satchel that should make a cloud of gas and confuse units that get affected by the explosion, BUT not cause any damage. I can figure the visual effects out, I just can't seem to get the confusion effect to work. It only work if a) the explosion also causes a lot of damage b) if it's melee attack and is proportional to mana,
neither of which are what I want.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Viktor wrote:It's for my Sengoku mod...

It's a unit that should throw a satchel that should make a cloud of gas and confuse units that get affected by the explosion, BUT not cause any damage. I can figure the visual effects out, I just can't seem to get the confusion effect to work. It only work if a) the explosion also causes a lot of damage b) if it's melee attack and is proportional to mana,
neither of which are what I want.
you are referring to Added mana bar above unit cannon .... ?
Viktor

Post by Viktor »

No, there's an option in the projectile "Edit Damage" menu, which makes something proportional to mana...
hmp

Post by hmp »

You could try having the gas continually detonate or use a contrail that only does a small amount of damage along with the confusion. You could also have the damage set to a small positive and negative range (like -0.5 to 0.5) or alternate between doing a small amount of positive and negative(healing) damage, so that the damage is mostly cancelled out. The problem is if the damage is too small it will really just hold the units in place and not walk around confused. If its too much the damage will be more noticeable and more likely to kill units with low health. You might be able to balance the damage and the rate/length that it detonates to get something close to a warlock's confusion.
Combined with the above, you could also scale every units health and all projectile damage up by like 10x, then the amount of damage to cause more than a second of confusion wouldn't be as noticeable. Thats a lot of work though and might cause other problems.

Probably a better option as long as there is not going to be too much use of this attack at once, is to make it a scripted attack. Something like:
geom - find gas projectile, use location as centerpoint
geom - find units near centerpoint
ctrl - make units uncontrollable
general action - make units scatter/retreat
ctrl - make units controllable again

As I was writing this, I came up with a better solution I think, have a dummy/invisible warlock scripted to use a confusion attack:
geom - find gas projectile, use location as centerpoint
geom - find units near centerpoint
atta - have the dummy warlock use confusion on the units
make the warlock uncontrollable/untargetable and really tiny/constantly made magically invisible or some other trick so players don't see him, give a really long attack range or use scripting to get/keep him close enough to immediately use his attack when needed.
hmp

Post by hmp »

Just posting this other solution for reference for anyone else, because I have been trying to come up with a way to get a confusion effect with no damage off of a non-melee attack, and finally came up with a decent workaround.

Set any monsters that might be affected by the attack to have the "cannot be healed by damage" flag, and then have the projectile that will cause confusion do negative damage. The units will still get confused but will not be healed.
Point

Post by Point »

in wava tagset the mortor smoke rounds confuse the enemy if the smoke touches them... the units being confused have to be vulnerable to it in there obj settings ... and damage has to be set to can cause confusion. I don't recall the exact setting in the tag though feel free to open it up and take a look .. projectile --> _WAR-Smoke Screen Smoke-pj
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.