Displacement map rescue mission.

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
DarthRevan555

Displacement map rescue mission.

Post by DarthRevan555 »

So I was going through old locals and long story short I want to extract a displacement map from a mesh but loathing crashes every time I attempt to load the map. I can't open the map in game either. Crashlog tells me somethings wrong with the map actions but I can't go in there to fix it since loathing won't load.

I was going to start this map over from scratch anyways but I wanted to save some time and just load the displacement map..

Is there any other way I can extract it without loathing? I'm able to see the mesh in Oak so I know the displacement is right.
Insert text here.
Divine entity of map making.
Undefeated god of 1v1 map making contests that have yet to happen.
Insert massive ego here

Someone tell this guy to stop having so many signatures
juliocpaes

Re: Displacement map rescue mission.

Post by juliocpaes »

DarthRevan555 wrote:So I was going through old locals and long story short I want to extract a displacement map from a mesh but loathing crashes every time I attempt to load the map. I can't open the map in game either. Crashlog tells me somethings wrong with the map actions but I can't go in there to fix it since loathing won't load.

I was going to start this map over from scratch anyways but I wanted to save some time and just load the displacement map..

Is there any other way I can extract it without loathing? I'm able to see the mesh in Oak so I know the displacement is right.
Hi,

in my understanding, a displacement map from a mesh, it is extracted only by loathing ... and the Oak, does not do this.
which version of your loathing ?...1.8 ? try do with an old loathing, version 1.7.1

I also had this similar problem, but but it was with a file sound.
Then Pyro say me : " - Sounds like you are using an older version of Fear which had that bug. Download the 1.8.0 update and check the box for the mapmaking tools to get the latest Fear. Then see if you still get the same problem."
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

DarthRevan555 wrote:So I was going through old locals and long story short I want to extract a displacement map from a mesh but loathing crashes every time I attempt to load the map. I can't open the map in game either. Crashlog tells me somethings wrong with the map actions but I can't go in there to fix it since loathing won't load.

You using mac or windows Loathing?
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Jon God wrote:

You using mac or windows Loathing?
Windows Loathing 1.8.0

I've tried earlier versions of loathing 1.7 etc.. haven't gone as low as 1.6 though
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

What does the crash log say?
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Myrd wrote:What does the crash log say?
Myth CRASHED! nothing else

or Opening Loathin
Closing Loathing
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

If you send me the mesh, I can take a look at extracting it...
DarthRevan555

Post by DarthRevan555 »

Myrd wrote:If you send me the mesh, I can take a look at extracting it...
sent
Insert text here.
Insert massive ego here

Sword Ring

Post by Sword Ring »

There's an old utility for the Mac called "Textura" (written by Kim Foo-Jones, 1998) that works miracles on plugins, but not clear if it would pull from M2 files.

Performs amazingly well on TFL stuff, though. Will extract every aspect of a map, and more. It's the only way I ever managed to quickly and easily pull complete colormaps and shadowmaps and such from TFL plugins. Options to import or export displacements is there, too.

Great interface, too. Sort of Loathing-ish. Easiest and most polished map tool I've encountered on the TFL side. Fantastic for TFL to M2 conversions.

Those were the days...