recover Mesh

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Phobos

recover Mesh

Post by Phobos »

Hey, i like to recover my original mesh. I tryed to change the name of my Map (only tryed to change some Capitals) by the command: new "meshes" tag.
I cant load the map in loathing anymore, and in fear it shows the text: error reading tag file and the mesh itself cant be edited anymore.
I still have my displacement and color map. But i also already placed units, obersevers, net game scenery and most important , i would have to do all the terrain passabiliy again. :facepalm:
A-Red

Re: recover Mesh

Post by A-Red »

I'm pretty confused as to what you actually did. If you created a new mesh tag, then it's not the same one. You would change the name of the mesh by editing the existing tag, not creating a new one.

If you deleted the old one and then made the new one, then your old one is gone and you can't get it back. If you didn't delete it, then it's still in your local folder.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Depending on your OS, it might have overridden your old mesh. I know with some Windows operating systems, if you place two files named the same but with different letter case, it will override the older one. So if you had "test map" and made a new mesh called "TeSt MaP", your operating system might have deleted the other. Either your OS did it or Fear did it. You probably lost your old mesh tag. Check your local folder, in the mesh subfolder just to be sure. If you don't see it there, it is gone.

Another option is to find a data recovery program that you can use to undelete the file but there is no guarantee that you will be able to recover that file. And the more you use your computer to create new files or load web pages, the more likely you overwrite the area in your disk that might have the old mesh tag.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Just grab it from the backup you made before working on the mesh.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

GodzFire wrote:Just grab it from the backup you made before working on the mesh.
I approve of this comment though I don't condone it's implicit snarkiness.