weird elevation Problem

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Phobos

weird elevation Problem

Post by Phobos »

i was working on my new Map when something really weird appeared. The Error propably already occured when i was working on it the times before, so i saved the error.
The Problem:
There are some weird elevations on places my displacement map has black areas... (did this cause the problem?)
The elevated areas had blue fields in the Terrain map when i was looking for it ...?? wtf!
i changed it to the original one seen in picture (2)
When i took a look at the Model Tool , i saw some strange oszilation of the net. Picture (3)
The problem also occurs ingame
Phobos

Re: weird elevation Problem

Post by Phobos »

ok i fixed it myself. I dont know if this is the general solution to this. But i made a completely white Reflection Map and imported it.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, I think it has to do with whatever default values there are for the reflection map and a blank one or one with black on reflected areas should fix that up.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

It has to do with your "ranges" on the displacement map. If you go under Mesh>Displacement Map>Edit Ranges and plug in some larger values than 3 and -3, you shouldnt get the issue in the future. See, that range implies that blackest of black is -3 and whitest of white is 3, and tones of grey in between will fill in the gaps. If you have displacement that exceeds these heights in either direction, when you import your Dmap it will mess up those areas. Set your range to 10 and -10 or so, and you shouldn't have any problems in future.