Map from 1998!!!

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
KYRIC

Map from 1998!!!

Post by KYRIC »

*** UPADATE 5/12/2015

Alright I'm still working on this, the problem is my map is 25% too small and I need to extend the edge graphics. I can't export the map properly with accurate geometry and don't want to do it over.

Is there a way to do this?

I can't get the right numbers for the map to export properly and can't remember what I set them to.

*** UPADATE 5/20/2014

Finally got some decent looking DTEX working:

Epic slope to overlook a ridge (eroded side can be used by ghols):

Mountain maze (will repaint cmap when finished sculpting so you can see the paths better):

So the DTEX looks good but the vertex mode blending options make it look all blurry/smudged. It would be great if it would instead identify two layers, and I just paint a second layer with specialized textures instead of blending.

It would be great if we could have support for 32b textures for layer 2 as well so that little details like flowers or rocks could be painted instead of looking all funky depending on the cmap's poor level of detail. IE, with the 8b alpha for blending. Or you could do it with 24b by checking the hue and not blend those pixels (of course not as powerful as 32b but more compressed).

It's very time consuming to export all the texture graphics by one. Would be great to dump them all to one folder.

Also it's very, very tedious to create a new DTEX and assign it over and over and over and over as you are testing (can't overwrite and have to go through the GUI). I must have made and tested 20+ dtexs of the same thing to get something that finally looks right at the proper Myth zoom distance.

It would be super awesome if you could specify a DTEX work folder and Oak just checks that folder for updates on refresh or meshload or something like that.

***ANIMATING Texture support:

I actually animated this grass texture already and want to test it out, but I'm guessing we have no support for that? It's 4 textures reused and 10 frames long.

//============================================================

// End Update 05/20/2014

*** UPADATE 5/14/2014

Transparent water has arrived!!!@! WE shall succeed where BUNGIE is fail!

Looks way better in game, this just a crappy 4-screenshot gif spaz. But there is a major problem...

NEED to be able to adjust the underwater transparency--I'm guessing in the media types in Fear. Compare how the warrior in back looks compared to the warrior in front. You can barely see his feet. Ideally it would be darker in shallow and lighter in deep but something simple like underwater tint would be great.

For DTEX I need an additional media texture that renders UNDER sprites.

Lastly, an option to render reflections with the animating media mesh would be awesome, it logically makes no sense that warping water has static reflections on it.

// End Update 05/14/2014

*** UPADATE 5/12/2014

Alright, redid the textures and we now have epic mountains! Only been using Loathing for 2 days and feel like I can school Bungie haha:

Epic ridge #2:

Some sculpting on the center of the FFA fun:

Oh and testing 'transparent' animating water and failing so far. Annoying the hell out of me:

Need to get my hands on oak. It looks ugly in OpenGL. Oh and btw Fear or Loathing jacked up and destroyed my first version of the map by corrupting the tags/data dammit :p

// End Update 05/12/2014

Let's see... I was painting the heightmap and what not but gave up when Bugmaster (Myth) 2 came out and killed the awesomeness of the TFL community.

Made this in Photoshop 4 from scratch. Really liked the water, didn't really finish the grass or rocks and what not. Kinda cringe at it now, but hey I was like 14 when I made this.

Should I actually finish it--does anyone even play Myth anymore?

Was going for a mix of grave, carnage, and mm light:

Last edited by KYRIC on Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 16 times in total.
=================================================
:!: Windows Game/Tools Bug Fixes
http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7260
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Map from 1998!!!

Post by Pyro »

KYRIC wrote:does anyone even play Myth anymore?
No one plays Myth TFL online at least, but Myth 2 has a TFL gameplay option to make it look and act like Myth TFL. You can also play the TFL campaign in Myth 2 using The Fallen Levels plugin, and make it look like TFL with the TFL Interface. You can find Myth 2 players at the Gate of Storms server.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Pyro wrote:
KYRIC wrote:does anyone even play Myth anymore?
No one plays Myth TFL online at least, but Myth 2 has a TFL gameplay option to make it look and act like Myth TFL. You can also play the TFL campaign in Myth 2 using The Fallen Levels plugin, and make it look like TFL with the TFL Interface. You can find Myth 2 players at the Gate of Storms server.
Hey I'm that much of a N00b dude. I know about magma, m2, mariusnet, etc. Haven't really played any games since 2001 or 2002.

Not really interested in playing any non-TFL gameplay because m2 sucks--I think even with anti-clump unless they caught more bugs.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

tfl sux!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

I mean, you can play TFL on Mariusnet, but the more widely used metaserver for Myth, Gate of Storms, doesn't support anything but Myth 2 (It was thrown online after a long outage from mariusnet that lasted a few months)

Mariusnet has a few people that show up from time to time, but is mostly dead these days.

It seems like for TFL, you'd have to set a game up, or use vTFL.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Jon God wrote:I mean, you can play TFL on Mariusnet, but the more widely used metaserver for Myth, Gate of Storms, doesn't support anything but Myth 2 (It was thrown online after a long outage from mariusnet that lasted a few months)

Mariusnet has a few people that show up from time to time, but is mostly dead these days.

It seems like for TFL, you'd have to set a game up, or use vTFL.
Yeah it's going to be vTFL. I have to say the AI in m2 still seems weird to me with the pathfinding. I'm not sure if that's just me or certain maps/mods I'm playing.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

KYRIC wrote:NEED to be able to adjust the underwater transparency--I'm guessing in the media types in Fear. Compare how the warrior in back looks compared to the warrior in front. You can barely see his feet. Ideally it would be darker in shallow and lighter in deep but something simple like underwater tint would be great.

For DTEX I need an additional media texture that renders UNDER sprites.

Lastly, an option to render reflections with the animating media mesh would be awesome, it logically makes no sense that warping water has static reflections on it.
These things aren't possible with the current engine, you're essentially asking for a slew of new features in the tools and graphics renderers. I'm not sure if that's what you meant or if you were just asking if these things were already available somehow.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Melekor wrote:
These things aren't possible with the current engine, you're essentially asking for a slew of new features in the tools and graphics renderers. I'm not sure if that's what you meant or if you were just asking if these things were already available somehow.
Well I don't want a bunch of dream features that never get implemented but how hard would it be to add adjustable underwater transparency in Fear under media types?

You would think this feature would be a must since TFL and SB didn't have any transparency so some map makers would want to adjust that.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I actually had the same idea a while back to allow the transparent depth to be controlled by the media tag.

I hacked up a test with hardcoded values, but never got around to completing it. It's not hard but everything takes time. Here are some screenshots from my test: http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/tmp/submerge/
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I advice you to stop updating your original post and just make a reply. The thread does not show up as having new posts and no one would have bothered to notice unless someone else made a reply like Melekor did. That is how I have been noticing the edits so far.
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Pyro wrote:I advice you to stop updating your original post and just make a reply. The thread does not show up as having new posts and no one would have bothered to notice unless someone else made a reply like Melekor did. That is how I have been noticing the edits so far.
Yeah sorry, trying not to spam the forum and keep the relevant stuff at the top.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

This is the map making support section of the forums and you are working on a map. It is relevant. :)
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Melekor wrote:I actually had the same idea a while back to allow the transparent depth to be controlled by the media tag.

I hacked up a test with hardcoded values, but never got around to completing it. It's not hard but everything takes time. Here are some screenshots from my test: http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/tmp/submerge/
Awesome! That's what I was thinking (I think if I can alter the values from 1.0 to 0). Is it possible to just get a simple 1.0 to 0 trans for all heights in the media--how long would that take?
KYRIC

Post by KYRIC »

Update!