Increase MA params size/MA?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
fildred13

Increase MA params size/MA?

Post by fildred13 »

I'm just about hitting the mesh limit of both the MA params size and the map actions in a few plugs that I have been adding to over the years. I haven't noticed any bogging on my machine, and I was wondering if those limitations are breakable on my personal copy of myth? I know these numbers have been bumped in the past as part of PM's work, and I was wondering if I could mess around with increasing them myself, as an experiment to see how far I can push the game.

I have the same question about projectile limits and max active units. Are any of these numbers variables that I could bump in a decompiled file, or are they so intrinsic to the code that only PM is feasibly capable of such changes?

Thanks,
~fildred13
Gaming Rig: $2000
Apple Cinema Display:$1000
Using for 90% mything: priceless
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Increase MA params size/MA?

Post by Melekor »

Unfortunately, the only way to alter these limits is in the game's source code. Making the limits configurable in fear or loathing is an idea we've tossed around, but no work has been done yet.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

I suspected as much, but I guess what I'm asking is if you guys have a git, or something I could fork? I'm a python developer by trade and I'm sure I could adapt to Myth's language, whatever it is. I'm not up to speed on all the legal stuff surrounding PM and T2 and Bungie and all that nonsense, but if these limits are limited to a file or two, maybe an arrangement could be made where I could fork it, play around with adding map making options that bump these limits, and either it ends there or I can send it back to you guys if it seems to be working great and maybe I did some work for you?

My goal is just to expand my personal project as far as it will go, but if that helps Myth and the community, that's even better. I know unit limits were already being talked about by JonGod in another thread - these other limits seem like natural extensions of that interest, and I'm willing to put in the work to look into expanding these limits, if I was given whatever low-level of access was required to do so.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Sorry, the source isn't open like that. It is not possible to grant low level access to certain parts. The code base is mostly C and it all compiles together at once, so all developers are all or nothing. Because of the legal, control and security issues, we have a very high bar for accepting new devs. We typically only recruit those who have the full combination of technical skill, proven long-term involvement and trust.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Understandable, I feared that might be the case, and I didn't know how modular the code was. Consider this just one more vote for those increases then.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Melekor wrote:Sorry, the source isn't open like that. It is not possible to grant low level access to certain parts. The code base is mostly C and it all compiles together at once, so all developers are all or nothing. Because of the legal, control and security issues, we have a very high bar for accepting new devs. We typically only recruit those who have the full combination of technical skill, proven long-term involvement and trust.
Right because Myth development right now has a line of programmers just begging to be part of the group and you have to turn so many away.

Come on, at this point in Myth's almost completely dead life, it should be anyone offering to help gets a chance. Start them off with something simple and see how it works.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

I'd be happy to give it a try if you guys are willing. PM me if you want to talk.