Slow playback for some players

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Omicron

Slow playback for some players

Post by Omicron »

In the ARM plug I made, (Alric Returns Modification), for some players the sound tags I added have a slow playback, so it sounds like someone has a record and is playing it at too low an RPM.

It doesn't do this for me interestingly, but I gained access to another comp and it did do it on that comp when the plugin was played there. The second comp was running Vista, while the comp I used fear to make the tag on is running Win 7, don't know if that has something to do with it.

EDIT: Though it did this on the second computer I used, it does not do it for all players. I was doing the plugin LAN with two others while using that computer, and it played fine for them.
Last edited by Omicron on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
Omicron

Re: Slow playback for some players

Post by Omicron »

I have finals week coming up, so I probably won't be quick to respond. But thanks to anyone who replies.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Like I told you last time we spoke about this. It sounds like you (or whoever imported the sound) used the wrong sound settings for one of the sound permutations. See that chart image I showed you last time. If the sound appears slower like 50% speed, that is the result of importing a stereo WAV where stereo is not supported. Some sounds just have to be mono 16bit 22 kHz while others areas of the game support stereo version of that sound.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Nah Pyro, you phrased that as though we talked about this issue. We talked about the hertz levels supported for myth and fear not wanting to incorporate a file that wasn't the right hertz. Never about sound files playing too slowly.

It is not an ambient sound. It is not an ambient sound source. It is a narration, basically it is like the opening music you have on gladiators or mazz. Thus, stereo and mono are supported. So, any other ideas?

Also, that idea doesn't take into account the fact that some players, even when playing online over GoS, have it play normally, some have it play too slowly.

EDIT: Unless when the scripting calls for such a sound tag to be played it is an ambient sound source but without the item being placed in loathing. Which would mean the narration sounds are just when you have a guy talking before the level.

Then I would guess that sometimes myth is ok with it, sometimes it reacts by having slow playback.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Thanks for the suggestion.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Omicron wrote:It is a narration, basically it is like the opening music you have on gladiators or mazz. Thus, stereo and mono are supported.
Sounds played by the script using Sound actions seem to have the same traits as "Unit Sounds" in that chart I linked. When it doesn't fit the rest of the chart, it is likely the same as "Unit Sounds".

As for why it doesn't play the same for everyone... maybe it has more than one permutation? Or you used some strange range for the pitch that randomly picks a value that causes it to sound slow for some. Is "3D Sound" enabled in preferences? That setting can be very odd for Windows users and it is recommended that it is not enabled.