Map Overheads

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
gorgots

Map Overheads

Post by gorgots »

does anyone have all the map overheads for myth II soulblighter and myth III the wolf age, considering using some of them for zones in a DnD game i am Gming if you have them are they available in 2000x2000 ish or higher res :)
Point

Re: Map Overheads

Post by Point »

for myth II you can utilize Loathing to extract them from the game... simply export the color map
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

as point points out, you don't want the 'overhead map' - those are very small, you want the color maps.

i don't remember exact sizes of maps, but given that the maps were made back in 1997-1998, i don't think you are going to find any of the original bungie maps as large as 2000x2000.
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

here is a perfect example this guys LP archive http://lparchive.org/Myth-The-Fallen-Lords/Update%2022/ if you click the map you get a download of an image of map that is of a large enough res to be able to blow it up enough to use. http://lparchive.org/Myth-The-Fallen-Lords/Update%2022/

there what i need so do any of you fine gentleman have the colour maps available for the other two myth games :)
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

In that example, that person used the overhead map as the small image and the color map as the large image. Keep in mind sometimes color maps and overhead maps don't match up. Like when an overhead map is altered to show some building while the color map only has a black rectangle in that spot. Sometimes instead of a black area it is empty as if nothing was there. In your example, the overhead map shows where the world knot is at, but in the color map there is no marking of it.

As for the color maps for TFL, you could use UnTag on the Myth2 plugin called The Fallen Levels. Disassemble the plugin into your local folder found in your Myth II folder. Then use Loathing to open up each TFL map and export the color map. After that delete your local folder.

For Myth3, I believe you need UnTag again as well as Patchwork (Win/Mac). A little info on Patchwork.

EDIT: I just realized when you meant "the other two Myth games" you actually meant Myth2 and Myth3 seeing as you will likely just copy the color maps from that "Let's Play".

For Myth2, it's the easiest one of the 3. When you use the latest update, make sure you check the option for the mapmaking tools. This will install Fear and Loathing into your Myth II folder. Open Loathing, then open one of the Myth2 maps. (File > Open) Then go to Maps > Color Map > Export. It will export in 8-bit BMP format.
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

yeah I did I copied them and cut the quality down in Photoshop since I only have 100 Meg of space on Roll 20. My next question is do you have any maps you have made yourself that you wouldn't mind sharing, just looking to fluff out the hardest campaign my friends will ever finding themselves playing in with some very very pretty graphical lands for them to roam.

Also your making this extraction process sound awfully easy :) so I will attempt it myself and if I get stuck (might do) knowing how amazing the myth community has always been I will get some great assistance :)
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

There is also this for the first 5 maps of Myth 3:
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/m ... ished-port
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

ok i managed to extract all the maps from soul blighter itself but I dont have a clue how to extract from a map pack :( any thoughts how do i get loathing to load levels which don't exist in the original game?

I also have another question is there anyway to get fear and loathing to render in Project magma quality so i can pull some semi high quality model images to use as tokens? example
Attachments
example
example
1-warrior_unit.png (5.08 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I already told you how to extract color maps from Myth2 plugins... I explained it with the Fallen Levels plugin earlier...
Pyro wrote:As for the color maps for TFL, you could use UnTag on the Myth2 plugin called The Fallen Levels. Disassemble the plugin into your local folder found in your Myth II folder. Then use Loathing to open up each TFL map and export the color map. After that delete your local folder.
gorgots wrote:is there anyway to get fear and loathing to render in Project magma quality so i can pull some semi high quality model images to use as tokens? example
I don't understand what you mean. If you mean to extract the images of the units (like a Warrior), you will need a collection editor like Oak. For that, private message Melekor about it as it is in private testing.
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

Ok, this is the bit where I am feeling awfully noobish. so I've installed and opened untag loaded in the plugin I wish to disassemble now, I guess I hit extract all and save it to local to the local file? would I be right or am I going totally wrong?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

You would be right. Save to the local folder found in your Myth II folder.
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

i have done that now how do i open it up in loathing?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

You click open?

Once the plugin has been extracted to your local, you will be able to open the maps just like the standard maps. Look for them in the list Loathing shows you. If you don't see new maps you didn't before, you did something wrong.
gorgots

Post by gorgots »

right pyro got a screen shot for you to look at. have i done this right

as you can see the maps havent been added.
Attachments
hmmm.jpg
hmmm.jpg (110.76 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I just looked into UnTag to see how it extracts and I see what happened. It creates a folder with the name of the plugin. So next time you do this, just delete your local folder. Then when you have UnTag extract a plugin, name the folder it wants to create as "local". Or just rename the folder it makes as local for the same effect.

In this case you can move the contents of the chimera folder you created into the local folder and let it override anything it asks.