Access to Oak?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Supergrom

Access to Oak?

Post by Supergrom »

Hello,

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but I've been looking for a way to extract the sprites from Myth II's tags. I was able to extract one at a time using Tahoe, but that's more than a bit arduous. From what I understand from searching the forum, there is a took called Oak that will extract them in batches, but you have to be granted access to the beta to be able to download it. Is there any way I could get access? I'm thinking of making a myth style game for touch screens using Unity3d and I figured I'd be more motivated to get a prototype up and running if I had some actual myth sprites to test with. Thanks.
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Access to Oak?

Post by Melekor »

PM'd you.
Supergrom

Post by Supergrom »

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for the quick reply, and even more thanks for all the hard work that has gone into this tool.
HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter »

Hello, I would like access to Oak and this appears to be the place. :)

-HH
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Pm'd you too.
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Me too Me too! I'm just starting to poke around at the idea of map making and looking around at the fear & loathing docs seems to leave some holes in my understanding. Is there any other documentation available about using loathing and using oak ?
Yankee
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

There's lots of Loathing and Fear documentation in the Myth Graveyard - check the 'Guides' page http://mythgraveyard.org/index.php?a=d&o=guides

I'd highly recommend the HPC Tutorial (Heal with Steel's Mapmaking for Newbies). It walks you through EVERYTHING you need to do to create a map and if you download the zip version it even has the files referenced in the tutorial. Even if you know the basics, the HPC tutorial is a great reference so you don't forget anything.

If you want to get into scripting, Ares scripting guide is a good place to start. (link on the same page)

There are also some articles/tips/Q&A about mapmaking in the articles section of the Graveyard: http://mythgraveyard.org/index.php?a=s&f1=ct1&v1=guide
erileykc

Post by erileykc »

Excellent looking stuff, thanks
vinylrake wrote:There's lots of Loathing and Fear documentation in the Myth Graveyard - check the 'Guides' page http://mythgraveyard.org/index.php?a=d&o=guides
Yankee
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

As for the tutorials by Ares and A-red, Ares left some stuff out of the tutorial. Which is funny as A-red starts off saying he is gonna assume you know certain basic actions which you can read about in Ares' tutorial, which are not in Ares' tutorial.

Simply, for scripting actions, look at the bungie documentation and look at the bungie maps. They are great examples of the scripting in action as they are clearly laid out.

Also look at Mazzarin's Demise, its scripting is very compact and has some of the nifty tricks people have learned over the years. Also check out the Bolo co-op maps, some good ideas in there.
This message delivered by Interplanetary Telegraph Service
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Omicron wrote:As for the tutorials by Ares and A-red, Ares left some stuff out of the tutorial. Which is funny as A-red starts off saying he is gonna assume you know certain basic actions which you can read about in Ares' tutorial, which are not in Ares' tutorial.
I gave recommendations to what I believe are good tutorials, I didn't claim any scripting tutorial was 100% complete. Ares' tutorial may have changed over time, I found it on a number of sites in different formats so it's possible A-red has/had a different version when he created his tutorial.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Aye, on the old Creation Site mirror that Baak has, you can find the two tutorials Ares wrote, Basic and Intermediate scripting. He had a link up for Advanced scripting, but that tutorial was never written... until A-Red came along and wrote it. I may just be speaking for myself, but I compiled Ares two tuts into one file... I suspect many others did the same over the years and maybe have forgotten there were two. Intermediate covers the basics of GEOMs and the more complex actions A-Red claims you should know already.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

VR, I wasn't talking towards your post or your suggestions. Great site. I was telling Yankee that those tutorials make mention of actions they do not explain. Please stop taking everything so personal.

Graydon, maybe I was just reading the intermediate tutorial, and it is the basic that has the actions I was thinking of.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

My comments about the tutorials aren't taking your criticism "personally" because I didn't write them, didn't even recommend one of them and clearly have no personal stake in them or their popularity.

I was - if anything - defending the authors of those tutorials.
Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Geeze VR, you are like the energizer bunny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxafIhYFOr0
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Hey all,

I'm looking to import some Diablo2 sprites into Myth in preparation for my own 3D modeled units. Looks like I need oak to do it. Any chance I could have access?
Gaming Rig: $2000
Apple Cinema Display:$1000
Using for 90% mything: priceless