Zooming out a map

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Zaknafein

Zooming out a map

Post by Zaknafein »

It has been a while since I have attempted this, just curious if somebody else has done it and can help me avoid the headache.

Whats the fastest and easiest way to lower the terrain on a map? Should I edit the terrain map and lighten everything up?
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
vinylrake

Re: Zooming out a map

Post by vinylrake »

Zaknafein wrote:Whats the fastest and easiest way to lower the terrain on a map? Should I edit the terrain map and lighten everything up?
if you don't have the terrain range set to the min and max you could slide your range down and reimport your terrain map.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Yeah, there is no easy way to do it. Export, then alter the values VR stated and reimport. You will still need to touch up some areas.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

..and of course you have to keep the range between your minimum and maximum elevation the same - if you just extend one or change either/both you'll mess up the relative heights of terrain features on your map.

as pyro said, it's not going to be pretty but if you have a map with a lot of elevation changes changing the range, reimporting and then 'touching it up' is usually quicker than recreating it from scratch. i haven't had much luck trying to darken/lighten elevation maps in PS or other gfx pgms to change elevation, but that could just be because I am a gfx amateur.