Heroes Who Dare Released for Public Consumption

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
GHOST®

My bad :oO

Post by GHOST® »

nope. no blur at all, unless you shove the camera up the units nose as i apparently did in that previous screen along with getting tagged by Fe.

a *better* screenshot

Full Size Image Here
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
iron
Site Admin

Re: Are there any Heroes Who Dare ??

Post by iron »

Yes, he was to be "the captain" in my plugin. Ah well.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

iron wrote:Yes, he was to be "the captain" in my plugin. Ah well.
Sorry man. :o(

I'd be willing to help move 7th Legion along, but i am unwilling to do anything with your maps without your input/guidance or at the very least your presence on HL now & again. ;o)

Not to change the subject, but that is just D E V I O U S ! ! However, i bow down to your superior tag trap reflection skillz. Nicely done !! ;o)

:: ponders how he can shove 1000 tags into an envelope ::
"Do you want to be healed now? Or would you prefer to bleed to death so I can try my hand at resurrection?"
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Its nice to be an admin :)

I kinda assumed you (and maybe oz?) were helping Khel with LoE or working on other projects of your own, so I was holding off on the 7th - also because I'm still pretty busy trying to scratch out a living ;)

If you're both at a loose end though, sure I'd be happy to get it underway once more.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

Btw back on the arcane topic of medieval longbows, an English bowyer could not only pierce plate mail, they were extremely accurate and had one helluva reload rate. They didn't carry poncy little quivers, but instead lugged bags with up to 50 arrows. In short, the English longbow was the superior ranged weapon right up until the invention of the machine gun before WW1.

The problem though was that it took a lifetime of practice, starting from an early age, to master the weapon and develop the immense strength needed to pull those bows. The English were only able to field dominant longbow forces for relatively short periods when archery was something of a fad throughout the countryside, and other European countries never took to it at all.

A heavy crossbow could fire just as far as the longbow and with equivalent striking force, however it took much much longer to wind up & reload another bolt. It wasn't until the invention of the musket - relatively simple for anyone to load and operate, and quicker than a crossbow once the soldier was trained - that ranged weapons became widely used by general infantry, and not until the machine gun that they began to utterly dominate combat and force troops out of marching formations & into trenches.

Anyway, you can prove all this for yourself in Myth! Load up some B&G soldiers onto a map, send them against an equivalent number of archers, and see who wins :)
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Now, the undead and the damned ghouls : beware ! because the axe warrior will cut them in the middle.
and the rotten thralls will feel his own axe. eh eh

Julio
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

iron wrote:Btw back on the arcane topic of medieval longbows . . .
i seem to have a vague recollection of my Father telling me how giving the middle finger came to be, that it had something to do with drawing a bow and how'd they'd cut off enemy archers middle fingers. :oO So, as a sign of defiance, archers would hold up and flaunt their middle fingers as a sort of taunt at their enemies, or some such nonsense ?? :op

If you think that one is out there, shoulda heard the one about where the term calling shotgun when calling the front passenger seat came from. Heh, he actually tried to get me to believe that a guy would sit next to the drivers of stage coaches in the 1800's, guarding the coach/passengers/cargo with a shotgun. LOL, such stories he used to tell me. ;o)

Anyways, another 24+ hour stretch with no sleep nor any feedback on HWD, so i am off to the land of nod for a few hours.

Stay well Fe, catch you on the flipside. :oD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

iron wrote:....The problem though was that it took a lifetime of practice, starting from an early age, to master the weapon and develop the immense strength needed to pull those bows. ...
...to develop the immense strength not only to pull those bows but to shoot/reshoot incredibly quickly. I don't know how authoritative the accounts are but I've seen several references that say English longbowman were *expected* to be able to shoot 20 arrows a minute. - which if you've ever tried archery you know is a pretty fast rate, especially for a bow as tall as you are strung tight enough to shoot long heavy arrows a couple hundred yards.

even those quivers of 50-60 arrows wouldn't last long though - the british longbow tactic was to put their archers behind walls or swampy ground in the back of the battle field where horsemen and armored enemies would have trouble getting to them, then as a battle was starting or about to start the the longbows would fire volley after volley of arrows - like rain - down on the incoming troops until they ran out of arrows. they'd run out of arrows in 2-3 minutes, but the damage done by the (armor-piercing) longbows would often decide the battle in the British's favor even when they were facing superior numbers of enemy troops. platemail was hard to pierce at long distances so they had special arrows with heavy ends that came down with enough force to knock an armored soldier right off his horse. (allegedly of course, i am not a historian)
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

A neat little trick oZone came up with.
Dark/Sharp Border = Original bmp
Light/Smooth Border = Alpha Map added.

EDIT: Added screen below for comparison of how much improved Iron's Zerk is over Bungies original, even before the Alpha Masking. :oD

Last edited by GHOST® on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

the TFLish black border? Yes its something I've experimented with as well. I settled for the very subtle border you see on those units rather than something bolder, as I thought the black was overkill. Its all aesthetics though, so each to their own :)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

not a fan of the black border around units, it makes the units look more like 2D cardboard cutouts then the 3d units we are trying to pretend they are.
ozone

Post by ozone »

uhhh The point is to get rid of the black boarders... We arent adding them.
do it.
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

iron wrote:the TFLish black border? Yes its something I've experimented with as well. I settled for the very subtle border you see on those units rather than something bolder, as I thought the black was overkill. Its all aesthetics though, so each to their own :)
I think you misunderstood, i never had an issue with the light border personally, i actually thought it gave them a *crisp* look. Until oZ showed (forced) me to get way up close and personal with them, i liked them as they were and never (conciously?) noticed how *sharp/jagged* some of the edges could be. Since looking into what and how he did it, the difference to me in game has become apparent and I had since come to see how this bit of xtra effort/xtra collection size is well worth it once in playing Myth. Personally i didnt think your units could be improved further, oz proved me (imho) wrong, and until the new HD units arrive, this seemed a logical step to take. My apologies if you thought i was somehow dissing your awesome units.

Guess what i'm saying here is, anyway you cut it Iron, your units were and continue to be, a VAST improvement over what Bungie shipped us with Myth II

I for one thank you immensely for your taking the time and expending the effort to make them, and then kindly releasing them, stepping aside, and calmly taking in how I, and others, promplty modify them to suit our needs. :oD
GHOST®

Post by GHOST® »

vinylrake wrote:not a fan of the black border around units, it makes the units look more like 2D cardboard cutouts then the 3d units we are trying to pretend they are.
Added Bungies Zerk for comparison, Lest we forget what we started with and just_how_hard we had to pretend the units were 3d before Fe started making his. ;op
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

ozone wrote:uhhh The point is to get rid of the black boarders... We arent adding them.
Oh riiighht. Didn't realise that the ugly borders were mine :)

By all means go with your version Oz, looks much better.