Units starting in different place

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
SamualACarver

Units starting in different place

Post by SamualACarver »

Maybe someone can help me with this. I am working on the Dog Fights map (after 2 yrs) I thought I would fix the game ending problem by allowing the players to control the Jmen instead of them being ambient. The problem I am having is I gave each player a Jman placed it on the map in Loathing built the plug. When I start the game in Myth the Jmen always start in a different spot than where I placed them in Loathing. I cant understand why this is happening. For the map I need them to stay in a certain area but they always start just outside of that area. I had to scrap two tries and use Untag to start over from the original plugin I made. Which the Jmen stay right where I placed them.

Thanks
Sam
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Units starting in different place

Post by Pyro »

Units do not start in different places on their own. You either have scripting that moves them at the start, playing as a different team that has the same units in a different place, the jman went to attack a nearby enemy, or the jman ran away from a nearby suicide type enemy.

You could always give the players a unit that can't be seen or moved if your concern is to prevent them from getting eliminated.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Thanks Pyro. I javent had time to work on it or thank you untill today. I just deleted them and started over. I have another question. I have the "Dogs" with scripting. There is artifacts the Dogs can get whenever the Dogs pick up artifacts the scripting doesnt work. Everything works unless they get an artifact in the game. How do I fix that?

Thanks
Sam
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

SamualACarver wrote:There is artifacts the Dogs can get whenever the Dogs pick up artifacts the scripting doesnt work. Everything works unless they get an artifact in the game. How do I fix that?
I am confused. What do you mean there are artifacts the dogs can get when they pick up artifacts? Also, about everything working unless they get artifacts in the game, how can they get artifacts out of the game?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i am guessing he means everything works _until_ the dogs acquire/pick-up an artifact, although technically 'unless' could mean the same thing in the given context it's a little stilted sounding and less clear .

"in the game" has to be superfluous.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Thanks guys. I guess I didnt word that very well. What I mean is that the scripting works right if the Dogs dont pickup (which when they pick up they automatically use) the artifacts.

In the map the player has control of the dogs during the first part. After that the AI or scripting takes over the dogs and they fight each other. When I have been testing it I found that if I dont have a dog pick up/get any artifacts during the first phase, (when the player has control) the scripting works, but if I do pick up an artifact when it is time for the scripting to take over the dogs, nothing happens, the dogs just stand there. I tried scripting it 2 different ways first by giving the command and selecting the unit to use, then I tried using a link for the dog neither works.

Hope I explained that better
Thanks Sam
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yes, that was easy to understand. As for the issue, can you show me part of the script? Open the map in Loathing and in the menu at the top go to Mesh > Export Map Actions. Then just upload it somewhere or copy/paste the part that we would have to read.

There is one thing you can try before showing me your script. On the CTRL you use to take away control of the dogs, add "Received User Control Flag" and set it to false. Sometimes when you have scripting take control of a unit, they won't do what they are told because they still have a command given to them by the player. This flag makes them forget that last order from their user.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

Thanks Pyro that worked. Why would a unit using an artifact and "Received User Control Flag" have an effect on each other?

Thanks
Sam
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Like I said they still had a command given to them which might have been to pick up an artifact or to move to a place. "Received User Control Flag" set to false wipes any commands and solves this type of issue.
SamualACarver

Post by SamualACarver »

So it has nothing to do with the Artifact? When I was getting different outcomes it was because it just so happened to have a command that wasnt deleted? Which when I was testing it I think I DID just fastforward with out moving any units. Thats when it all worked. The other times I picked up the artifact, and the scripting didnt take over

So do you HAVE to use both commands "Recieves user control" and "Ignores user control"

Thanks
Sam
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

SamualACarver wrote:So it has nothing to do with the Artifact?
Ordering a unit to grab an artifact is a command. The artifact itself would not cause your script to break unless you ran a test to check for units without artifacts, but I doubt you added that.
SamualACarver wrote:So do you HAVE to use both commands "Recieves user control" and "Ignores user control"
To prevent issues like this, yes.