Reflection Map - Help

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Schuder

Reflection Map - Help

Post by Schuder »

Okay, I am fairly new to map making , this is only my second map. I got everything working just fine except for the reflection map. My reflection map is completely black and white and a bitmap. But when I import it nothing happens or if I have used the reflection paint tool it wipes all reflection paint off the map. So is there some kind of special order that you import the maps in?
Thanks,
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Reflection Map - Help

Post by Pyro »

The reflection paint tool is currently broken, so don't use that. Are you sure nothing happens when you import? Did you load up the map and see if the media has reflections? Did you already set media through the terrain map? There is no special order to import.
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

Right now I have the media hand painted with the reflection paint tool and that just has waves no reflection. I did not upload a terrain map but used the terrain paint tool to add the media depth. When I go to maps/reflection map/import and select the black&white bitmap it removes all of my hand painted reflection and does nothing else.

When I load the map in Myth the water has no qualities.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Like I said, the reflection paint tool does not work. Do not use it. If your media is not acting like media, you might need to alter your media displacement map. It tells the media where it should be just like a regular displacement map tells non-media where to be. Also, which media did you use? There is a way to alter media to not have reflections if editted in Fear.
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

So the media displacement map is different than the reflection map? Do you just color the water part of your map a shade of grey to make it media or black and white like the reflection. I have the media set as water. Also when playing the map, when thrall move to the deep part they dont go under water they just move below the map.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

For media displacement, you can have it all one color. Take a look at other maps as examples. If your units do interact with those areas as if they are media, then media displacement is not the issue. The reflection map has to be black and white, with the media areas being black. After you imported the reflection map, try exporting it to see if it shows up blank or not.
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

Just as a test I made a basic color map and a reflection map to go with it. I created the mesh and then imported the reflection map and nothing happens. Even after saving and getting back into the map in loathing. So I must not be doing something right

Yes the reflection map does show up blank when i export it.
Attachments
testmap.png
testmap.png (1.74 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
testmapcol.png
testmapcol.png (1.42 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

What version of Loathing are you using? What operating system are you on?
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

Win 7 64 bit
Loathing 1.7.2
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I can only think that using the media/reflection mapping tool has mucked things up somehow. Have you tried importing the exported (blank) reflection map, then proceeding to import the actual (marked) reflection map in succession?

Also worth noting, when you import a fresh Rmap, you need to close the mesh and open it again for the media to animate. That said, however, you can tell if your Rmap worked without closing the mesh by clicking on the Reflection tool after import to see if your media areas are highlit in pink.
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

I did what you said and started a fresh map and imported a ref map exported as blank (of course) and then imported the same one. Also selected the ref painter to see if any pink areas where created. None were. I guess I can try and get a fresh copy of Loathing as a last resort.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You did something wrong if your explanation is accurate, or your phrasing is confusing me. I said export the blank one, import the blank one, then import your marked one you've made in PS or whatever app you're using.

Also curious: After trying these various steps, check your Myth_log.txt and see if any suspect looking errors are being reported? It could be something as simple as your file isn't precisely set to 72ppi. I think it would shout a dimensions error at you, but maybe that's only for cmaps and not rmaps.
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

Sorry, miss read your directions. Tried exporting the blank, importing the blank, and then importing the marked one and nothing happened. 72ppi? for my ref maps I convert the color map to black and white then set contrast to zero and change the value from there is there some other step to make it perfect black and white?

All that was in the log:

2012-03-02 23:45:55 loathing running under WinNT ------------------------------------------------------------
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Did you save the reflection map's colortable in grayscale?
Schuder

Post by Schuder »

Im using Paint.NET, I don't think there is a color table but I've used paint bucket to fill the grass with solid white and the pond with solid black.