Loathing crashes

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Zaknafein

Loathing crashes

Post by Zaknafein »

So using loathing 1.7.2 I am making a plugin. It uses a lot of different unit collections. At a certain point, when I scroll over certain parts of the map it makes loathing crash. Now, when I add new units, it also crashes.

My myth log does not contain any information from these crashes, and my mesh limits in loathing are all normal. Any ideas for what is going on?

I have only been adding units and editing the script, so I have no idea what could be causing this.
God of mapmaking
Undefeated in 1v1 mapmaking competitions
Zaknafein

Re: Loathing crashes

Post by Zaknafein »

More tweaking:

Started back from point where there were no loathing crashes. Added units one at a time. At about 45 new units, it started to crash. Then I realized that I was getting new crashes in certain areas of the map when I scrolled. There seems to be an inherent connection between the camera crashes and the unit crashes.

The original camera crash was solved by deleting a local projectile group (thanks oz). I have not yet solved the unit placement crash.
God of mapmaking
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Maybe loathing is punishing you for being pretentious. God of mapmaking? Really? Pretty sure a god wouldn't have problems with loathing.... You're sad. :(

Constructive reply: No clue what your issue is, I've experienced meshes get 'corrupt' at times, only solution is to revert to a save that worked and go from there. Sounds like you've tried this already, so not sure what to say.... If you solve the issue with any definite cause and effect, let us know for future reference.
cremisiii

Post by cremisiii »

I had the same problem , make sure you run it as admin that stopped the crashing for me.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Well now loathing crashes upon attempting to open the mesh.

Also another symptom of this ailment is collections will disappear completely from fear (NOT DUPLICATES, I checked that). The weird part about all that is the lack of a collection doesn't make myth crash, the collection is still there. I just can't change any units collection to the invisible ones.

Weird.
God of mapmaking
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

All I can definitively say is that after I go over about 50 unit types it has crashing errors. If I manage to put more than it wants to let me, the mesh will crash upon start, requiring me to start from scratch or go back to the latest working version.
God of mapmaking
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Hard to say why it is crashing. Since you tend to add tags from different places, there could be some silent conflict, a missing link, or corrupt file. You might have to go tag by tag in Fear to see if something is off.
Zaknafein

Post by Zaknafein »

Pyro wrote:Hard to say why it is crashing. Since you tend to add tags from different places, there could be some silent conflict, a missing link, or corrupt file. You might have to go tag by tag in Fear to see if something is off.
That is thousands of tags, and I wouldn't even know what to look for. What tag issues in fear cause loathing to crash when scrolling over seemingly random areas, or when you add too many unit types?

I remove all the units and the crashing stops.
God of mapmaking
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

It might not even be obvious even if you got into Fear and open them one by one. So I don't know what exactly could be the reason the crashes happen. One method of figuring it out is to take out some units from the map. See if the crashes stop, if not take a bunch more out. Until you get no crashes. Then narrow it out some more by only taking out the last batch of units you removed before the crashes stopped. So on and so on until you can at the very least be sure a very small specific set of tags are causing you this issue.

Say there is a unit that has a projectile tag missing for the attack. When you open it, instead of Fear letting you know something is missing, it simply says "No Tag". If you click OK in that tag, it will stay as No Tag instead of being linked to whatever missing tag you didn't copy over. Hitting Cancel will make sure it had or was linked to stays that way. So keep that in mind when looking at tags in Fear.

Loathing is based on an old version of the myth engine, it might explain why it crashes but not Myth. Myth has gotten many updates while Loathing has only gotten the bare requirements to get it going.