63 Max Attack Range?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
fildred13

63 Max Attack Range?

Post by fildred13 »

Is 63 really the maximum range and attack can have? I can't have an artillery piece firing the entire length of the map? Is there a way around this?
Gaming Rig: $2000
Apple Cinema Display:$1000
Using for 90% mything: priceless
Fury IX

Re: 63 Max Attack Range?

Post by Fury IX »

The only way I know around it is to make the projectile lighter, so you click say 25% of the way to hit the target (4 x 63). This does have plenty of drawbacks, but was used with great success in ww1 verdun. I also have a plug that uses this, but because the myth camera height is so low, mine will require 1.8
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Interesting, thanks. So if I want a computer controlled unit to attack with it, I'll need to have it attack ground points and just hope for the best, right? It won't learn to aim properly on its own...will it?

EDIT: Also, what exactly modifies the weight of the object? is it not inertia? I'm using the 15 cannon as my artillery, but I can't seem to find the projectile weight anywhere?
Point

Post by Point »

just like the ww2 rpg aiming canon of titans... at least thats what I used to figure out my attacks that can go longer range... artillery, airstrikes and such.. if manually attacking yes you aim a percentage to the target and attack is set to fixed pitch... though if the attack projectile is guided the ai might be able to figure the attack or at least the projectile corrects.

I have the trigger projectile promote to a guided projectile this example a plane flys off and attacks a target since the projectile is guided it corrects its flight path and drops its ordinance on the target... this is a complex example because of the promotions. though I would bet by setting your projectiles to guided you could get the result you want.

and it would be way cool if simply this range was increased for 1.8 :)
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
StalKeR

Post by StalKeR »

This sounds a little crazy, but fun :o

I checked, that although you set the maximum distance to the attack, not certain that the projectile reaches there. The projectile is affected by three important things to achieve that distance. As said Fury, is to make the lighter projectile (on a scale 1000 is lighter. and 0000 is heavier) I mean inertia.

For me, when you manufacture a new projectile are three very important things that affect their proper functioning.

- One is the "inertia" (found on the menu of the projectile)
- Another is the "Initial Velocity" (located on the monster's attack in question, in your case the cannon)
- The last is the "Object Tag" (this is also found in the menu of the projectile, top left) This is important because it marks the physics of projectile. For you to understand...
For example, for a cannon to shoot straight ahead of him (as you would a rifle or a gun) the "object tag" would be appropriate "poacher rifle round"

If you want a cannon that shoots like a mortar (the bullet has a flight with an arc angle) the "object tag" would be appropriate "dwarf bottle"

The projectile may be lightweight at the maximum, but if you do not apply the proper initial velocity, will not get very far. The problem for a very light projectile. is that if you apply too much initial force, the projectile will fly much higher from where you are pointing (in some cases completely lost control) the projectile will go further but, in most cases, this will always deviate slightly above target. So you should manually pointing to the ground fire, anticipating the movement of the unit you want to hit.

The important thing here is to balance the initial velocity. you can understand what I try to explain with a simple example. Modify the normal attack of an archer and increase its initial speed from 700 to 1,000. or even more. (see the fateful outcome :P )

I managed to flying the projectile with 0,250 of inertia (that is quite heavy) at a distance of more than 35,000. I did this using an "initial velocity" of more than 2,000 and from playing around with the settings. Considering that i use as "object tag" the "poacher rifle round". the flight was more direct. To this must be taken into account the terrain, if this does not interrupt in the path.

I hope it will serve as guidance.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Thank you all for your response. I did indeed play with many of the variables as you suggest Stalker, and I got some very...interesting outcomes. But I managed to find something I can handle. Basically, I wanted them to be REALLY inaccurate, so I was able to use a random initial velocity and some inertia values to get them shooting as far as I needed, and the AI does a fairly good job shooting at them.

As to point and Fury, I think I may need to play around with those ideas, especially the guided projectile idea, if I use these cannons in any map that is larger than the one I am working with right now.

Yeah, a range increase would be GREAT. MA Params too. And damage types. I wish I wish I wish I wish I guess the wishing never stops :)

Thanks all for the help!