How do I put this together?..adding AvA Patrol to other maps

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: How do I put this together?..adding AvA Patrol to other

Post by Pyro »

For grouping tags, if you extracted them into local folders, can't you just merge the different local folders? There is no such tool to do this automatically. The plugin build options are for doing specific things. The ones you describe are for tagsets and mappacks, so they do not apply for a single plugin.

As for your errors, you might have a tag conflict. Some tag is looking for a sequence that does not exist which means you might have replaced a tag with an older or just different version of the same tag. 'Class Marine' monster tag is failing because it can't find a sequence in the "soldier.raw" collection tag. All these units are from the same plugin? Or is this flamer unit you mentioned from a different plugin?
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

They are from the same plugin but maybe another file is interfering from one of the other plugin extracts (maybe from the recon deluxe plugin) not sure what to do because I'm already just adding all the files from the mesh extracts because I figured they required them. Well I'll think about it and try some other things.

EDIT: I started from scratch and did a quick rebuild of the units, and a quick test on the map Mjila. And all units loaded successfully. Now when I add the rest of the maps I will not replace any files. Also I'll add one map at a time so I know if something gets broken.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

also, probably obvious, but saving multiple copies of your local folder is a lifesaver.

i would generally save a COPY of my local folder with a datestamp in the filename (ex. local_folder_20111221) before I started doing any map editing so in a worst case scenario where I had to go back and 'start over' I could start from where i was right before i really mucked things up - the most i could ever lose was my most recent working session.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Yea that's a good idea, although I'm just numbering 00001, 00002 etc. Newer versions getting a bigger number. This way the folder or plugin stays towards the top of the list. Although a hyphen might keep it at the top too. I went wrong figuring if the tag file names are the same across plugins, then they are the same files (interchangeable) so I was dumping everything together (from the start) hoping to save time.

Now that I have the Mjila map ready I need to set up the trading of units. I want to try something different and allow a maximum of 2 units from each class. I think I have to set it up like standard trading, then implement that script that adjusts total units by the difficulty. I'm not sure about that part though. For now I'll look up setting the trading up standard like (although I didn't see much about it in the loathing documentation) Can I get some advice on how to implement the scripting part?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Select the unit or units of your choice. Double click on your selection and a window will appear. You can choose the minimum difficulty the units will appear on. Works for projectiles and scenery as well. By default units will have Timid as the minimum. This means they appear on Timid and higher. You will notice if units are set to appear on Heroic and higher they are tinted blue. If they are set to Legendary then they are tinted red. The rest are not tinted at all. So no scripting required. Keep in mind, if an existing map does what you want, always take a look at how they did it.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

If you are also adding the Adaptive patrol option, it does not use difficulty settings or unit trading. The script does it all by determining the number of players in the game and randomly choosing a unit set accordingly.

The easiest way to copy this is to open an adaptive mesh in ava4final in loathing and extract the map actions to a text file. Then open your new map, import the map actions, and then go into the script and relink each unit by its name.

To add on to this, you could add additional troops to the map by difficulty (what pyro said), or unit trading (by double clicking on the unit and setting the mesh up in fear). To edit the actual adaptive script to random in more troops may be a bit harder, if you just add more troops to the random, it could be easy to screw up team balance.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Ok this is good I don't have to mess with other scripts and stuff. I'm gonna leave out adaptive since basically the same games can be made with tradeable units patrol (minus the random units) and also because there will be about 25 maps total, if I put in adaptive that makes 50 maps in the list to scroll though. If anyone is interested in adding adaptive at a later date though that would be cool..

A cool future idea I had though would be solo/coop versions of each map, where you survive hoards of thrall and ghasts, kinda like JonGod's zombie survival plugin. Not sure about what it would take to make that work though...
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

Allrighty I got 3 maps done so far, Caer Cadarn, Barbarian Valley, and Mjila. This pack is gonna be really cool for lovers of AvA. If anyone wants to help test it out send me a PM
MindBrain

AvA Super Patrol Pack (beta download)

Post by MindBrain »

Here's a link to the beta demo of AvA Super Patrol Pack

EDIT: Updated beta, making starting views good, fixed some flag team assignments, removing scattered projectiles having to do with regular myth units...
EDIT 2: Added couple more maps. Now the total maplist so far is: Mjila, Caer Cadarn, Barbarian Valley, Broken Arrow, Creep on the Borderlands, Fosgarach, Dol Baran, Great Divide and Hvergelmir

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.00022

Just to have some fun and make sure starting positions are good. The final plugin will have around 24 of the best 3rd party maps, with credits going to the mappers of course. For anyone who likes AvA this plugin will be a MUST HAVE
Last edited by MindBrain on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

I need help, how do I set a mesh's overhead map to be revealed. For instance on Urban Warfare the overhead has "fog of war" and has to be discovered. Just need the whole map showing like normal ya know...

NEVERMIND I think I found it, by opening the mesh file in Fear
MindBrain

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.29

Post by MindBrain »

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.29

Got a total of 12 maps done:
Mjila
Caer Cadarn
Barbarian Valley
Broken Arrow
Creep on the borderlands
Fosgarach
Dol Baran
Great Divide
Hvergelmir
Shattered Earth
Urban Warfare
Four Leaved Fen

So if anyone wants to try it out and let me know what you think of the gameplay, and if there are any bugs that would be cool.

Also can I get some direction, how do I change the name of the mesh as it appears in the map list?
Last edited by MindBrain on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Using Fear, open the mesh tag you want to mess with. Look for the "Map Description" which points to the string list tag that contains the mesh's name and description. Close the window and find that specific string list tag and you can either edit it, or make a new one and just make the mesh point to the new one.

Reminder, each of the windows you see in Fear have Cancel and OK buttons. If you don't want to change anything after seeing a tag, just click Cancel every time instead of OK. This will prevent accidently changes that you didn't notice or saving default tags that you don't even need.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.32

-Couple bug fixes and prettified the map names
Last edited by MindBrain on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.35

-New maps ready: Peace on the Ramparts, Thaw before the Storm, Titus Groan
Last edited by MindBrain on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MindBrain

Post by MindBrain »

AvA Super Patrol Pack v.40 http://www.mediafire.com/?bexhq7vmez4subs

-Added more maps and also med kits (1 per team)