Myth 3 sounds to myth 2

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
balor13

Myth 3 sounds to myth 2

Post by balor13 »

I am using sound blighter and I take a myth 3 sound say dwarf taunt ( hey dumb face)
I extract the sound but then I cannot use it to make a myth 2 version, and whenever I just extract the myth 3 tag and put it in the sound folder in my local folder it does not load. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Myth 3 sounds to myth 2

Post by Pyro »

You would have to import the sound file into a Myth 2 sound tag using Fear.
balor13

Post by balor13 »

I do that but it fails to accept the file and It crashes fear and I cannot open it in ITUNES to convert.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

unless newer versions have more features, itunes isn't a very good audio format converter.

do you know what format the sounds you have extracted from M3 using SoundBlighter are in?

can you play the sounds in _any_ app? iTunes, preview, VLC, etc?

Myth sounds need to be in a pretty specific format to be recognized.

old documentation i have says that:

Ambient sounds need to be:
16 bit
22.050 kHz
IMA 4:1
stereo

non-ambient sounds need to be:
8 bit
22.050 kHz
IMA 4:1
mono
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I don't know about the Mac version, but the Windows version of SoundBlighter exports in AIF format. Windows Fear accepts WAV format only. So Windows users would need to convert from AIF to WAV with the right specifics as VR noted. This chart might be of some use as well. It specifies which sounds need to be stereo and which need to be mono.

If you are a Windows user and need to convert from AIF to WAV, you could use the Sound Recorder program that comes with Windows. Go to Start > Accessories > Entertainment > Sound Recorder. Open the AIF with that and select Save As to choose the specifics of the file. Choose to save it as WAV with the right format and attributes. The attributes being either "22.050 kHz, 16 Bit, Mono" or "22.050 kHz, 16 Bit, Stereo". The format I am not too sure about. There is a "IMA ADPCM" which is the only one with IMA in it. I however have always used "PCM" since at the time I was only guessing and didn't know what to use. It worked for me.

And so you don't have to always set the program, you have the option to "Save As" the format and attributes. I named mine Myth so I know what it is for.

EDIT: I just noticed VR mentions 8bit for some sounds, but I think I have always used 16bit. So now I'm not sure which is the right option, maybe one works better in Myth or maybe there isn't much of a difference.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

take my post with a grain of salt, i am not sure of the date so it might date back to TFL - for all i know sound requirements/formats changed between M1 and M2 - I wouldn't think they would have, but it's possible.

i completely forgot about your awesome sound chart, i need to add that to the graveyard and add some keyword text so i can find it when i am looking for things. (I'll list you as author and link back to your udogs folder as the 'original source' if that's ok)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Sure, do as you please. I made it as a quick reference chart when I was tinkering with sound tag related issues. I kind of intended of making some notes on sound tags at some point so that anyone seeking that info would find it in one spot, but I never got around to doing that.