limit on model vertices/triangles

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
carlinho

limit on model vertices/triangles

Post by carlinho »

anybody remembers what was the limit a model could have in vertices/triangles to import to mythII?

thanks!
http://carlinho7.tripod.com
Home of ANCIENT and CLASSICAL GREECE plugin on the works.
vinylrake

Re: limit on model vertices/triangles

Post by vinylrake »

only model restrictions I could find are from an ANCIENT Q&A on the vista mapmaking cartel website. hopefully someone can confirm whether these are still accurate or not. actually i don't even know if this is what you are looking for or not.
Model must be a triangle mesh provided in 3DMF format from Meshwork or from FormZ with optimiser.

The textures must UV mapped and be no larger than 256 pixels squared.

The textures may only have dimentions that are to the power of 2 (2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256).

The model may not exceed 512 polygons (in reality myth crashes around 509).

Be careful of normals on polygons. In myth they may not be two sided, one side will be transparent.

There is a limit of 128 models within Myth. This limit also includes animodels.

There is a set limit of the number of frames an animodel may have. About 32 frames for all animodels on a map (I believe).

And you may not have more than 8 unique animodels on a map. From this you may conclude that models are a pain and that Myth sucks. I would agree. ;)
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

The model limit is 512 these days, textures can be updated to 512 and larger now-a-days, as for anything else, I have no idea.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

thanks to both!
that helps vynyl, it says the polygons count.
I think there was a triangles count as well, but that's a start

as for textures Jon, do you know how to upgrade to 512x textures? I thought it was not yet implemented...

thanks!
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

plop them in oak. it works in game, wont work in vegas or loathing. so you have to make the model with smaller textures then upgrade later.... i usually make the textures big then just downsize for importing purposes. Still have to be multiples of 2.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Graydon wrote:plop them in oak. it works in game, wont work in vegas or loathing. so you have to make the model with smaller textures then upgrade later.... i usually make the textures big then just downsize for importing purposes. Still have to be multiples of 2.
It does work in loathing, if you have the latest version. 1.7.2

Vegas or apathy will crap out on you though.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

niiice!
didn't know that....I tried it before 1.7.2 and it gave me errors, like showing the model all white and things like that...
but will try it out again...
definitely cool

would that affect fps though? the 512x textures? specially if the map has many models?
does all textures need to be 512 for it to work? or you can mix 256+ 512 within same model/collection?

cheers
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

It's not any different than how it's always been Carl, except that now you can do textures bigger than the former 256x256 cap. Naturally bigger textures on lots of models will eat Render Memory / FPS much quicker than smaller textures will, but shouldn't be a huge problem if you don't have tons and tons of these huge textures on screen at once.

To be honest I wouldn't start putting 512x512 textures onto buildings you used to use 256x256 on normally.... it's the situations where 256x256 simply isn't big enough and you're looking at pinmapping it to make it stretch (say a big long wall or something right?), it's for those situations that it's easy to use a bigger texture. Though again, if you can take the time to pin map, your models are going to perform on the renderer much smoother.
carlinho

Post by carlinho »

aye, totally right
it's just a simple glider model I just did, for a crash site on one of the wwii maps (normandie from point)
but no high res needed....

thanks gray!