"Spiritless Ice"- Clipping and smearing (HELP)

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
BambooStew22

"Spiritless Ice"- Clipping and smearing (HELP)

Post by BambooStew22 »

"Spiritless Ice" is complete... (large scale) very beautiful tundra of rolling and twisting mountain tops littered with ruined outposts and goat paths leading to 4 large portions of a smashed viking ship at varying altitudes= waylayed by the giant glacier pushing up from the south west being smashed between the ice and jagged mountain scape of the Cloudspine- plenty of ambush and defensive points (territories-assassination-body count- LMOH)

BUT- in hashing out the finalizing touches I realized that in the corners of the map it clips out or "smears" ... I am not sure y this is... it plays fine- just catches the eyes' attention from the peripheral and is distracting from time to time- but doesnt effect gameplay so i might over look it... :?:

Is it because I started my map at -10 instead of 0 so that I could have a more intense dynamic between flat and high elevations of the map. :?:
BambooStew22

Re: "Spiritless Ice"- Clipping and smearing (HELP)

Post by BambooStew22 »

lemme clarify... the "CORNERS of the observing camera" not the true corners of the map.. all edges are raised to not allow visible smearing at edges....

Is there 2much topography information for the engine? having transitions like that (-10:20) is a larger range than (-3:4) or other traditional Myth Maps... I have no certain idea as to what causes this - different locals on the map seem to do it less... and the longer you play the map the less it does it as well... lol wild stuff
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

The camera only shows so much, so those areas are out of bounds for the viewing area. Same thing happens on Mazzarin's Demise VI. This might be dealt with for the next version of Myth2. So for now you either live with it or alter the mesh so its not as low.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

It _has_ been dealt with for 1.8.*

Just a matter of the limits of the engine in it's current state. If you were to leave it I don't think anyone would be really bothered, as Pyro mentions, there are other popular maps with this issue and it hasnt stopped people playing them. So if you were to just leave it as is, one day when 1.8 comes out, it will be magically fixed.