Using City of Delusion, and potential collaboration

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
rifthead

Using City of Delusion, and potential collaboration

Post by rifthead »

The first part of this is directed mainly at Jon God, and anyone else involved with Deadfall/Quarantine; I'm trying to find a good cityscape map for my plugin (Thunderstorm) , and the Deadfall map City of Delusion seems to fit my original conception pretty well. Can I get permission to use Deadfall's version? Also, is there any way someone could provide me with a link to the files/models/collections that are just for City of Delusion, or some kind of list of what's in the map?

Here's a description of what I tried last night:

Code: Select all

I tried to copy the resources into my other local folder for my plug, but I still can't get the map to load right. I tried a combo approach, extracting the entire Deadfalls maps plug and inserting the units folder from Thunderstorm, using that to place my units, then exporting that as a plug and changing Thunderstorm's local folder back to the primary local. I get the standard map crash, where it goes straight to the main menu. 

This was never more than a temporary workaround anyways though, seeing as I don't want to include an extra 100 MB of maps that won't even be accessible in Thunderstorm.
Also, I'd like to open up Thunderstorm for collaboration, if anyone wants to help out with it. Thunderstorm is based on a military operation to evacuate a major city during a giant monster attack, ala Godzilla or Cloverfield. (In the first build) The player plays as the army, trying to lead civilians out of harms way while also tackling the monster. As more civilians are rescued, the player gets access to more and more powerful units, until they're finally able to take the monster head on and (hopefully) kill it.

Anyone interested in helping me get this thing made, drop me a PM or just post on here.

I've got most of the units done (drawn from Special Forces, CAGES, and Parking Wars). Unfortunately my home internet connection is slow and limited (I'm in the Peace Corps), but I do occasionally get access to high-speed connections to upload stuff, and I'm willing to share what I've got so far if you're willing to help me bring this concept to reality.
Jon God

Re: Using City of Delusion, and potential collaboration

Post by Jon God »

Well, I didn't make any of the DF/Quarantine/ADT maps, they were (mostly) made by strangelet, who I can ask, but I am fairly sure you can use, if you give credit.

As for extracting, try using Chaos, extract the map to a local, remove all the units form the map, then extract it again, to get rid of the unneeded units.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

What do you mean extract it again, to get rid of the unneeded units? Also, is there anything special I should know about modding a map with that many models on it? I remember a few years back I tried to modify a Jinn map that was kind of similar, never got it to work either.

And I'll be giving credit to everyone who created anything I use in the plugin. I'd also like permission, if possible, so if you'd ask strangelet for me, that'd be great. Also, pass along my kudos for Darktide...it was the bomb years ago and it's still the bomb now.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

--wrong thread---
Last edited by vinylrake on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Heh, VR, I think you meant to post that in a different thread.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Strangelet says it's fine, as long as credit is given, and for what I mean, nevermind, just try using the tool Choas to extract the mesh, good luck!
Last edited by Jon God on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:Heh, VR, I think you meant to post that in a different thread.
yeah i have no idea how that happened. thanks for the head's up.
Zeph

Post by Zeph »

The only problem with that map is the terrain height is too high and you can't lower it because the models won't "follow" and stay hanging in the air... :(

As far as using ADT tags, I'm pretty sure strangelet would let anyone use whatever they want!
Try this funny game, it's free, broswer based and doesn't ask for email.www.mybrute.com
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Oh man...Chaos is the [EXPLETIVE DELETED]! It's actually made this seem possible!

But I've extracted the map, and seem to have all my basic elements working. Zeph, I think I may have found a potential shortcut around the mesh height problem by raising the camera's maximum acceptable height on the map. Now I get a fairly decent overview of the landscape.

Got to tweak some units, then it's on to map scripting. Speaking of that, does anyone know of any good high-quality sprites that would make a good rampaging giant monster? I've got one currently, but I'd be open to new ideas...and I've got some concept sketches if anyone wants to help make an all new unit (on the one in a million chance that someone has the free time for that).
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

There's an Ultima beast unit in the Wight Falls II map. Very hulking, huge with Wolverine type claws. Trolls in 7th God are pretty rampagy too.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

It just HAS to be Godzilla (japanese). Check out some of the various 3d models around the web
Defacto

Post by Defacto »

rifthead wrote: Zeph, I think I may have found a potential shortcut around the mesh height problem by raising the camera's maximum acceptable height on the map. Now I get a fairly decent overview of the landscape.
What do you mean raising the camera's max height? This is not currently possible.
Do you mean you lowered the mesh itself, and now the camera is further away from the mesh? Because this is the only way to get the mesh and camera further apart. But the camera's max height isnt being changed.

Unless there have been changes to allow higher camera parameters I am unaware of.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

You're unaware of a lot Ren. But in this particular case, at the present time, you're still accurate. This may change/will change throughout 1.8 Dev, but maybe not in the way mapmakers might imagine.... I'm sort of in the grey on the whole thing myself so I wont blather more, but yea, historic methods may change.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Could be the placebo effect on my part. Still chugging away.