Collections Interference

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
rifthead

Collections Interference

Post by rifthead »

I'm working on a plug that adapts units from several tagsets, and I've run into a weird problem with fear; whenever I try to include the WWII Tank from Special Forces with the Missile Tank from Mythwarrior, the Missile Tanks Collection Tag overrides the WWII Tank's tags and makes all WWII tanks look like it. I tried renaming the missile tank's collection tag name (at first they were both labelled as 'tank') but it still overrides the WWII Tank.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Is there any way to use both tank collections in the same plug?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: Collections Interference

Post by Pyro »

When this happens it means some of the tags are using the same tagID. When you open a tag in Fear you see the tagid in parenthesis next to the name of the tag. Myth uses these to link tags together and to know what to load. So if tank A is "abcd" and tank B is also "abcd" any tag linked to "abcd" will link to the same one.

Fixing this can be a hassle depending on how many tags you need to edit. Just duplicate the tag that is conflicting and edit all tags to point to the new tag. Then you can delete the original. When you make a tag or duplicate one, Fear automatically gives it a different tagid. Place them on a map and load it to be sure you got all the tags. If it does not load the map, check your myth_log in your Myth II folder to see what was missing.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Is there any way to duplicate collection tags in fear? If not, how else can I change the tag ID?

Edit:

Also, when I put both of them into the collections folder, only one of them (The Missile Tank's tag) shows up in the collections menus in Fear. So I don't think I can manually reset the tags until I find a way to change the Missile Tag's designation.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Ah, forgot to mention that. Oak can do it, but so can Fear. Take one tag out of the local for now, hold Shift as you open Fear and let go of Shift when it appears. This will show the tags Fear can't edit, including collection tags. Right click and duplicate the tag, you can keep it the same name. Relink the other tags to point to the new one and delete the original. Place the other one back into the local and see if that works.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

I've tried that...they now have different subgroup designations but still appear to override each other. I also tried extracting the tank collections from titans to see if that would provide a work-around, but now the titan's tank collection tag overrides both the SF tank tag AND the Missile Tank tag. Any ideas on how this is possible?

Also, thanks for the quick replies!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If it is still overridding then you either did it wrong, or it was never the collection tag that was the issue. It could be other tags like the monster tag. If both had monster or unit tags with the same tagid, one would override the other.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

curiouser and curiouser...

I've checked and triple checked the collections tags to make sure they have different tag ID's, and they do. However, they're still overriding each other. To test this I attempted to duplicate a regular myth 2 collection tag (wight) and changed into 'wight test 2'. It created the tag, with a different tag ID than the normal Wight, and the number on the collections folder went up by 1, just like it was supposed to. However, when I tried to use the 'new' wight collection, it didn't show up in the pulldown menu for editing the monster wight.

I think there must be some kind of limit on using two collections that appear exactly the same to fear, and here's where the problem might lie; I'm betting the two tanks have the exact same number of frames and so fear registers all 3 collections as being the same and only chooses to display one of them.

Have you run into this issue before? Can anyone confirm this on their system?
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Okay, seem to have found a new facet for the issue: Duplicates of any kind of collections tag don't show up for use in the monster menu. To copy the collections, I've been using Edit --> Duplicate, which creates the tag in the collections folder, and gives them their own tag ID, but doesn't let them link to any other tag.

Any way I could get my hands on Oak to try re-exporting the collections tag with it? I tried to download it last night but it asked for a password and username. How does one go about getting permission to download it?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

The issue is that for some reason Fear is not duplicating the collection flags when duplicating the collection tag. These flags can be editted in Oak and they allow Fear to see the collection in specific dropdown menus. For example if the collection is meant to be of a unit it would have the flags for Monsters and Projectiles since, so it can be seen in the drop down menu in monster and projectile tags.

Where did you find the link to Oak? As for how to get access, a dev will have to grant it. One of them should see your request later today I would imagine. So wait and see.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

I found it by googling "Myth 2 Oak"
http://projectmagma.net/~melekor/oak/

Thanks for the clarification!
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Pyro wrote:Ah, forgot to mention that. Oak can do it, but so can Fear. Take one tag out of the local for now, hold Shift as you open Fear and let go of Shift when it appears. This will show the tags Fear can't edit, including collection tags. Right click and duplicate the tag, you can keep it the same name. Relink the other tags to point to the new one and delete the original. Place the other one back into the local and see if that works.
Hey Pyro,

ah very cool, the information on "hold shift" to open the Fear.
I did not know this feature existed.
Why appears "locks" into folders?
there's something more,beyond the edition of tags?
Attachments
Fear
Fear
fear.JPG (41.13 KiB) Viewed 3120 times
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Created a potential workaround in by replacing the Rocket tank with a different unit (Datax's Humvee unit from Parking Wars). Buuuuuuut I'd still be interested in how to solve this problem, and potentially put the Rocket Tank back in.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Julio, they have locks because Fear can't edit them. The locks are a way to show they can't be messed with in Fear.
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Pyro wrote:Julio, they have locks because Fear can't edit them. The locks are a way to show they can't be messed with in Fear.
Ok Pyro,

Thanks.

:D