Using 3rd Party Units

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
rifthead

Using 3rd Party Units

Post by rifthead »

What's the policy on 3rd Party units these days? I have a concept I'd like to try in the Myth engine, and I'd like to use some other people's units for it. Namely, the following:

Green Berets/Special Forces (Ozone's, I think)
-RVN soldier
-Assault Soldier
-Huey Helicopter
-Special Forces Captain

WWII (Santa's Head)
-M-61 Tank

Mythwarrior (Rohan)
-Rocket Tank

CAGES (Troll)
Arachnoid

ADT (Strangelet)
Map - Quarantine Zone

I'd like to use the collections but modify the stats for a plugin. Also, is there any unit collection out there packing a rocket launcher? I know of the SITH and other Marathon collections, but I'm looking for something that would fit in better with the Green Beret units.
vinylrake

Re: Using 3rd Party Units

Post by vinylrake »

general policy for people who want to give credit where credit is due is the same as always - make a reasonable effort tocontact the original creator of the units and let them know you would like use/modify the units. some people ask, some just inform - but particularly if you are modifying anything it's good to ask.

if readme emails go nowhere or bounce back, post something on the forums so the person has a chance to respond if they are still here or using a different username these days.

for a rocket launcher, you might want to check out the DeadFall zombie conversion. The author and contributors are still around the forums.
ozone

Post by ozone »

Sorry I didnt reply to your private message sooner...Ive been sick with the flu and when im sick I get lazy. :lol:

Its my belief you don't need to ask permission to use this stuff but rather give credit to those (in a read_me) whose stuff you used to make your plug. This has been standard practice since I started making maps in 1789. And so you know some people don't agree with or follow this practice...

I hate them. :twisted:
do it.
ozone

Post by ozone »

Btw...there is a VC rocket launcher in Green Berets/SF/SF2

man...I need to get SF2 done. :oops:
do it.