Projectile Lifespans, Unit Entrances, and Zombie Armageddon

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
rifthead

Projectile Lifespans, Unit Entrances, and Zombie Armageddon

Post by rifthead »

Hey,
I've recently started tooling around with Myth 2 again after coming up with a game concept.

Right now though, I'm working on an experiment in creating a zombie attack map, but I've run into a few bugs with fear and am looking for advice. The basic concept is this:

When a Ghast in Willow Creek kills a peasant, that peasant turns into another Ghast.

To achieve this, I created a projectile that promotes into a ghast unit, and attached it to the peasant body projectile group. I also gave it a limited lifespan of 1.000 to 3.000, and checked the box 'promoted at end of lifespan'. This didn't create a ghast at all.

Is there any extra step I need to take to give a projectile a finite lifespan, and then promote into something different at the end of it?

I tried the same thing with a dwarf satchel charge (to let me experiment better). The lifespan still isn't activating. However, I was able to get it to create my ghast by detonating it.

This leads to the second issue; I want my ghast to enter using the Rising entrance. I created a new unit and checked the 'Always uses unit entrance' flag, but in-game the unit appears at the same time the entrance animation plays, making it look like there are two ghasts in the same spot. How do I get it to play the entrance animation and then create the unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
vinylrake

Re: Projectile Lifespans, Unit Entrances, and Zombie Armaged

Post by vinylrake »

you might want to check out the 'Deadfall' plugin/map - a zombie conversion for MythII.

when a player's unit is killed by zombies it then becomes a zombie version of itself, so looking at that might give you at least one way to accomplish part of what you are trying to do.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Any idea why lifespan isn't making the projectile disappear/promote into something else though? Is there something else I need to change to get that to work?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

I imagine your projectile is becoming dormant when it comes to a rest. Open the proj tag and go to the Flags section. Make sure the flag "Becomes Dormant at Rest" is not checked.

Also make sure the flag "Promoted at End of Lifespan" is checked. As for the Monster flag "Always uses entrance projectile group", yeah it won't work as you will want it to. However, you can go about it a different way. Instead of promoting to a Ghast, promote to a projectile of the Ghast rising. Then make that projectile promote to the Ghast when "When Animation Loops" with "Promotion on Detonation Fraction" set to 1.0.

The proj flag "When Animation Loops", will make the proj detonate when the animation has run its course so it does not loop. The "Promotion on Detonation Fraction" value tells the projectile the chance of promoting instead of detonating where 0.0 is never and 1.0 is always.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

vinylrake wrote:you might want to check out the 'Deadfall' plugin/map - a zombie conversion for MythII.

when a player's unit is killed by zombies it then becomes a zombie version of itself, so looking at that might give you at least one way to accomplish part of what you are trying to do.
:D
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

Last edited by juliocpaes on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Thanks Pyro...I'm pretty sure 'Becomes Dormant At Rest' was the culprit. Also, I love the new projectiles-promoting-into-units-code. Most excellent. Managed to set up Ghasts that turn into hyper-aggressive Mahir units in like...5 minutes. I sense lots of possibilities there.

Also, Vinyl, thanks for suggesting Deadfall...I actually worked on making that (slightly), back with Zeph when it was Quarantine. It was quite the blast from the past to open it up and see the old flavor texts I wrote years ago were still in the plugin! Made me proud that I actually HAD contributed something to the Mythiverse. I kind of went AWOL from Myth after college, so I never saw the plugin completed until today!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

rifthead wrote:Thanks Pyro...I'm pretty sure 'Becomes Dormant At Rest' was the culprit. Also, I love the new projectiles-promoting-into-units-code. Most excellent. Managed to set up Ghasts that turn into hyper-aggressive Mahir units in like...5 minutes. I sense lots of possibilities there.

Also, Vinyl, thanks for suggesting Deadfall...I actually worked on making that (slightly), back with Zeph when it was Quarantine. It was quite the blast from the past to open it up and see the old flavor texts I wrote years ago were still in the plugin! Made me proud that I actually HAD contributed something to the Mythiverse. I kind of went AWOL from Myth after college, so I never saw the plugin completed until today!
Ah, well, Deadfall and Quarantine are slightly different plugins, (Deadfall was originally a LAN modification of Quarantine), still, it's nice to know who helped on Quarantine, I will be sure to toss you in the credits list for any newer releases. :D
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

Cool!

Also, how does one make Deadfall maps? Does it involve a lot of scripting, or can you just put units down and set it up like a normal 'Hunting' map, activate the tagset and you've got one? I'd like to try my hand at modifying some maps for Deadfall usage if it's the latter.

And if it's the former...please, please, someone convert Clueless to Deadfall!
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/clueless-mwc

(Creepy mansion + Zombies + secret passageways = POTENTIAL WIN!
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

rifthead wrote:Cool!

Also, how does one make Deadfall maps? Does it involve a lot of scripting, or can you just put units down and set it up like a normal 'Hunting' map, activate the tagset and you've got one? I'd like to try my hand at modifying some maps for Deadfall usage if it's the latter.

And if it's the former...please, please, someone convert Clueless to Deadfall!
http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/clueless-mwc

(Creepy mansion + Zombies + secret passageways = POTENTIAL WIN!
Well, I am still working on DF, and I would add that as a map for you, if you'd like, but I'd need to find contact info for the creator, because I try not to use things without permission. :)
rifthead

Post by rifthead »

The owner's original handle is Datax, if that helps. He also made the Parking Wars Map.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

rifthead wrote:The owner's original handle is Datax, if that helps. He also made the Parking Wars Map.
He also made Sinex Silvae, but this was quite a long time ago, the chances of finding him are very low, I'd guess. :(