New detail pack...used with new maps???

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
BambooStew22

New detail pack...used with new maps???

Post by BambooStew22 »

This may sound dumb... but pertaining to the new detail textures that came out to upgrade MythII... will i be able to make maps utilizing them??? like are the textures mapped to display based on what the terrain parameters are set for (Grass, Snow, Desert, etc)

or are they hard coded to meld into the old color maps?

Ive noticed my color maps looking pixelated in loathing (gotta love 8 bits-lol)

Will I have to beef up my texture quality?
Should I work toward higher contrasts and less smooth transitions within textures?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: New detail pack...used with new maps???

Post by Pyro »

Any detail texture addon made would only affect the maps that were detail textured using Oak. If you want your map detailed textured, you will need to use Oak and grab some textures or even use textures from some addon.

There are two tag types to keep in mind. The detail texture is the image being used to add detail to the map. Multiple detail textures are used per map for the most part. The other tag type is the detail map. The detail map is what links the detail textures to a specific mesh. So you could load up Oak and use textures from other addons and just make sure to include your new detail map tags with your plugin and when someone uses the addon you used to add the details, they will see them too.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Less transitions and more contrasted edges will definitely help with some of the 'banding' that can happen with indexing, however if you choose a fairly small colour palette to work from, and keep all colours on your cmap within that range, you should be able to do fairly smooth transitions and still prevent it banding when you index. This relies on the fact that there aren't lots of different unique colours on the map.
BambooStew22

Post by BambooStew22 »

my problem being... I was put on the list of "Oak" testers... downloaded it and it just crashes as soon as I open it... and I don't know of any support chains for the program... pitty- i was looking forward to creating new collections for models and units =(
ThreeTigerSilverWind

Post by ThreeTigerSilverWind »

BambooStew22 wrote:my problem being... I was put on the list of "Oak" testers... downloaded it and it just crashes as soon as I open it... and I don't know of any support chains for the program... pitty- i was looking forward to creating new collections for models and units =(
Try using version 118 instead. I also had issues with 119 and went back to 118.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If you have problems you have to explain what they are, in the correct thread (not this one). What is the point of being a private tester if you are not going to bother reporting issues? If you don't report them, they don't get fixed. It is that simple. I don't have issues with build 119 so others like me would not report something that does not exist for our systems.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

I concurr. Build 119.app runs smooth on my Mac, and Build 120A.exe runs fine in Wine as well. If you'd give some more information over in the tester thread, as to your OS, your hardware setup, and how you're going about trying to use the program, someone will probably be able to point you to a fix or at least in the right direction.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Yeah guys, the entire point of being a private tester is to report bugs. The private testers forum is your "support chain" :wink:
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

make sure the "res" folder is in your myth folder
ThreeTigerSilverWind

Post by ThreeTigerSilverWind »

Pyro wrote:If you have problems you have to explain what they are, in the correct thread (not this one). What is the point of being a private tester if you are not going to bother reporting issues? If you don't report them, they don't get fixed. It is that simple. I don't have issues with build 119 so others like me would not report something that does not exist for our systems.
No need to be an ass, Pyro. I will try it again and report it when I have a chance--and if the issue repeats itself.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

ThreeTigerSilverWind wrote:
Pyro wrote:If you have problems you have to explain what they are, in the correct thread (not this one). What is the point of being a private tester if you are not going to bother reporting issues? If you don't report them, they don't get fixed. It is that simple. I don't have issues with build 119 so others like me would not report something that does not exist for our systems.
No need to be an ass, Pyro. I will try it again and report it when I have a chance--and if the issue repeats itself.
Don't take it personal ThreeTiger, Pyro just kinda has that 'aura' of an ass when he talks sometimes.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

then again, being a private tester and having access to the private testers forum and claiming to not have any knowledge of any kind of "support chains" does kind of boggle the mind.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I wasn't trying to be a Godzfire (er... I mean a jerk :wink: ). It just seems strange to claim to have an issue and not give feedback on it to get it worked out. Besides I wasn't aiming my reply to you ThreeTiger alone. It was open to anyone else that might say something similar, since BambooStew also has issues.

I tried to be clear as to what is the whole point of being a private tester, but sometimes being extra clear comes out as being rude which was not my intention. Eventhough it does annoying to have to tell people the same things over and over, which I'm sure you can understand isn't any fun.

And don't listen to Godzfire, he is one of those people I have to keep telling the same things over and over. So to him I appear to be a rude on many times, and everyone else that deals with him could tell you similar.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I got last word hahahah! *sarcasm*
juliocpaes

Post by juliocpaes »

GodzFire wrote:I got last word hahahah! *sarcasm*
oh brothers, the focus of the forums is technical instructions and perhaps a humor with camaraderie, calling people "ass" etc. I understand that this is not correct. :| :D