unit Blocking rate??? // Textures???

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
BambooStew22

unit Blocking rate??? // Textures???

Post by BambooStew22 »

I'm no noobie= I played Myth ages ago when it first compiled to "The Total Codex".. I made the mistake to loan it to a friend and he used the CD case as a drug dealing currier device... no comment/s

back then I extracted and categorized all the sprites from the Diablo series but was unable to find a reliable source to port them through amber (he ran off with all my work only makeing 2 units...america! right)

Just recently I acquired a new copy of MYTH II (6 years later lmao) and have successfully reversed engineered a great deal of projectiles and proj groups ex: (Upgraded shade to: spiraling death plague ring that circles in dark clouds (mahir fire) that paralyzes and drains units within...thunder sword blow that crashes sparks that burn and injury... and increased projectile spawning within groups for greater aesthetics, i want witnessing magics and dreams unleashed to be stunning and awe inspiring :shock: . push dat engine hard!! :mrgreen: )

--->I'm a windows machine...so i feel soooo limited

Anyway I'm working on a project (isn't uryone?)= essentially the Myth story (after Chimera) but on ROIDS-- ex (Brzrk Unit= reduced health, faster movement speed, slightly weaker trow kick as special (mana regulated)...functionality being= if you send them into a fray and don't tend to them they surly will die... but if you coordinate their attacks and alternate their targets they can quickly tear the flanks out of a regiment with great fervor.) I am basically sacrificing some of the "balance" in Myth for extremely "dynamic" characters; forcing new play styles and an overall new "feel" to the legends of MYTH...which leads to my questions...

I would like the Warrior (being the backbone of the Legion) to block at a higher frequency making them more formidable and allowing small lines to hold against great hordes by skill not just huge life bars and absorption rates,

** :?: can anyone explain the parameters of the extended flag "blocking delay modifier"

** :?: TEXTURES TEXTURES TEXTURES... I have accumulated a nice library of textures for photoshop and a collection of already made color maps: within my project the main goal is EPIC I mean EPIC environments, I want to create GORGOUS color maps in both detail and tonal value ALSO i hope to see someone help me create a few larger scale structured models (ancient ruins, farm/town buildings, earthy structures...etc) {I can provide all textures and even possibly the sculpted model if thats what it takes to get someone to help me but neway}

** :?: where is the best library of commonly used MYTH textures I want to quickly be able to compose amazing transitions of atmospheric values ( i dont wanna just cut and past and blend outa pre-existing maps.... :| nor to I wish to start EVERY map from scratch... I want a decent length campaign so speed of creation is essential)

PS--if anyone would like to discuss my project, even if just for bouncing ideas around or if they are possibly interested in joining the effort... I understand that the few remaining GROUPS...whose works are legendary... have made their KIN forged in the bloody relentlessness it takes to complete such things, but this project of mine is hardly a feeble attempt to "fubar" the MYTH engine... My goal is to show the community a side of Myth even its original developers couldnt have even imagined! (the side i've been dreaming about for over 6 years-lol)...tactical diversity within units allowing many different "combo" styles of attack within your armies' ranks... towering remnants of ruined castles... lost magics reborn... ancient artifacts reveal great powers... sceneries lush and dynamic... Heroes born and lost within the tides of war... color maps that drop the jaws of the most cynic ghols...a full submergence into the lore of the Myth Universe, any experienced help or words of wisdom would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Re: unit Blocking rate??? // Textures???

Post by Pyro »

The Fear Mapmaking Document that comes with Fear/Loathing when you install them says the following:
Block rate delay modifier - Modifies the delay between the monster's blocks. ( 1.0 equals default blocking delay)
So modifying this value can make a unit block sooner or later than its default.

I don't think anyone will help make new models since at this moment it requires using some Mac classic tools to get them into Myth. However, there are a bunch of models already in myth that you could retexture for your purposes. This site does have a list of some models and other myth related stuff from various plugins.

There is no library of textures, each color map maker might have their own personal library of textures they use. Why do you feel limited just because you are on a Windows computer? Amber is not the only collection editor. Oak is a cross platform (Windows/MacOSX) program that includes a collection editor. It is currently in private beta, but if you really wanted you could request access to it.
BambooStew22

Post by BambooStew22 »

Thanks for the hit back.... yeah I figured this was gonna stay a solo project, well my thing with the block, I've tried different values and haven't notice anything besides NO BLOCKING at all... perhaps i should delve to the negative value side of the spectrum...hmmm

well anyway, are you aware of whom i need to contact to use the OAK... i have every software form imaginable...bryce...photoshop...maya...3dstudio max...i could go on forever... but i have not transitioning media to get anything I could create INTO the Myth game....
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pyro wrote:... This site does have a list of some models and other myth related stuff from various plugins....
also, if you want to see all the standard Myth 2 models to see if any of them would fit your needs for 'new' models, there are links on this page to both SoulBlighter and Chimera model galleries.

re: texture 'libraries', there is no single source, and nothing very recent (that I am aware of) but Soma's Mapmaker's Food collection had a lot of old school textures, as did I think Vista's collection. BUT those by themselves will not give you a jawdropping visual WOW, they date back to the early days of Myth mapmaking so look familiar - perfectly usable and quite nice, just not all that eye-catching. Of course ANY textures you use are going to need adjusting/tweaking and blending to make them look good.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Added you to the private testers group. The latest Oak build thread is here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=9&t=5421
BambooStew22

Post by BambooStew22 »

Thank you so much Viny and Melekor!!!

I can't wait to play with OAK!!!! :mrgreen:

Anyone remember a Diablo Unit they would like to see ported to MYTH II?? lol :twisted:
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Yeah. The Iron Golem. And all the bosses and player characters, of course.
The cake is a lie.
BambooStew22

Post by BambooStew22 »

if you are talking about DII.... the playable characters are borderline insanity to port because EACH & EVERY component (helmets, chest armor, legs, weapons wit arms attached, weapons w/ out arms attached, etc) are separate sprites so one would have to make sense out of a bouncing helmet and associate whether its bouncing because its attacking/running/spell casting/etc.... trust me i tried very hard ... but 3 - 5 piece units aren't to terribly difficult
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Oh, so you're just talking about the original Diablo? In that case, the Skeleton King and the Butcher!
The cake is a lie.
Gleep

Post by Gleep »

There are some programs that can reassemble D2 sprites. I can't remember what its called. Had them on my old hard drive. Also baldur's gate and icewind dale units can be transferred to myth. I was working on some a few years ago.