Looking for an Old Tutorial (Getting Started)

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
decker0311

Looking for an Old Tutorial (Getting Started)

Post by decker0311 »

About 10-12 years ago there was a great step by step guide available (3rd party) for making a basic mulitplayer map. For anyone familiar, it basically involved making a small, square map with a grass surface and a circular lake in the middle. I used this before, and I'm buying Myth 2 tomorrow and I want to get back into map making.

Is this tutorial still available - or is there anything else comparable that I can use to help me get back into the groove of this awesome game? Thanks.
Graydon

Re: Looking for an Old Tutorial (Getting Started)

Post by Graydon »

I recall the tutorial you mention! I think I used the same one WAAAAAYYYY back in the day. I think this might be it. With that in mind many of these may also be useful to you.

Finally, if you get yourself a Hotline Client you can connect to address hl.udogs.net and drop your questions into the lobby there. It's a renowned mapmakers hide/hangout, and there's often at least one or two people there that could be classified as mapmaking geniuses and would be more than happy to help out with any simple or even advanced questions. Hope to see you around, and moreover, hope to play some of your creations in the future!
decker0311

Post by decker0311 »

Haha oh my god that's the exact tutorial! I remember it because the tutorial map was called 'Death Becomes Us'! Thanks so much for the link - I wish the images weren't broken but this is the exact one. I was making maps way back in 1999/2000, I couldn't have been older than 14. I never could get the scripting to work on my epic battle levels lol, but as an older man I might have a little more luck. Thanks a bunch!
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Another good basic tutorial that covers pretty much everything is Heal with Steel's "Mapmaking for Newbies". It is a PDF format so the images will be intact. It's quite thorough.

You can find the download link here: http://mything.org/index.php?a=article- ... 0000000399
decker0311

Post by decker0311 »

Hey thanks - actually I used this tutorial before too! I must have mixed up the memories from both of these tutorials, because the second one has the green map with the circular blue pond in the middle. Thanks for the help!