Loathing Crashes when attempting to begin new map.

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Dasgiest

Loathing Crashes when attempting to begin new map.

Post by Dasgiest »

Hello,

Thank you for reading my post. A few days ago Loathing stopped working for me. I have attempted to re-patch with the 1.7.2 update which removed the 1.7.2 public beta 2. Now, I am not sure if the beta caused the issue and I don't care. What i would like to do is find out what the following error log is telling me or if it is easier to install M2 again. I unfortunately do not have access the original installable data so I'm trying to avoid that router. Please keep in mind, I am still able to edit, save and so on, a map that I have been working on for a few days prior to the issue occurring.

The following is the Myth Log as it appears after the crash.

2011-05-02 11:11:17 loathing running under WinNT ------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Data Corrupted in \Programming\magma\myth2\tools\Myth 2\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3571: the monolithic file 'plugins\Icon' has no header
Error: Data Corrupted in \Programming\magma\myth2\tools\Myth 2\tag_files\tag_files.c, line #3571: the monolithic file 'plugins\Icon_' has no header
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Crashed!
Melekor
Site Admin

Re: Loathing Crashes when attempting to begin new map.

Post by Melekor »

The log doesn't say anything specific besides the fact that it crashed, so I'll just ask some general questions:

Are you saying that just doing "file > new map" causes a crash?

At which point does the crash happen -- after clicking new, after creating the tag, after selecting the colormap BMP?

If the crash happens after selecting the colormap BMP file, are you sure the file isn't corrupt?

Did this start before or after installing 1.7.2?

Which version have you been successfully developing with in the past? I can upload any old version that you like. Here is the 1.7.1 version if you want to try it: http://www.projectmagma.net/~melekor/up ... 01.7.1.exe
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

It crashes after I choose the bitmap that I wish to use.
I have tried different color maps and even a color map that i have for the map that I just finished; still it crashes when choosing to use the same color map.

I noticed some weird issues with 1.7.2 public beta 2 where it wouldn't let me Alt+Tab during any running instance of the Myth 2 client. At the time this only occurred with Beta version 2. Later I noticed that the 1.7.2 was doing it as well. I reapplied the current version of M2 to the installation folder which allows me to alt+tab again but Loathing is still not working.

I don't have the .iso for m2 which was acquired a few years ago. Due to a lack of available downloads I cant download it again to perform a fresh install. I did take an install of the demo then replaced the demo installs, international small and large to rebuild was missing from the demo. This allowed me to make a working version without worrying about removing the wrong patch files from the 100s of plugins I have. Although I am still using the original install from a few years back.

The issue seems to be related to the install but I don't know where or what "plugins\Icon_" is to even located in order to begin rebuilding or replacing the corrupted file.

Thanks again.
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

That particular error message is caused by having a non-plugin file in your plugins folder. It's not related to your problem. If you want to get rid of the message, just go to your plugins folder and delete that file "Icon_".

There were a couple points in my previous reply that you didn't address, I'll just quote them here:
Did this start before or after installing 1.7.2?
Which version have you been successfully developing with in the past? I can upload any old version that you like. Here is the 1.7.1 version if you want to try it: http://www.projectmagma.net/~melekor/up ... 01.7.1.exe
Things to try:
-see if it works with old versions of loathing.
-check the BMP is 8 bit indexed, uncompressed, dimensions are multiples of 256.
-make sure loathing has full write access to the folder
-if you are on Vista or higher, and Myth is installed in program files, try running Loathing as an administrator.
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

Technically the problem started after the beta update but, i have been using that version 2 beta for some time. I'm not using it anymore.

• See if it works with old versions of loathing.

The problem occurred all-of-a-sudden and worked fine for the full week before it happened.

• Check the BMP is 8 bit indexed, uncompressed, dimensions are multiples of 256.

Problem happens when using the same color map that is associated with the map it worked on before the problem occurred. Also, I am still able to edit this pre-existing map. They are 8 bit indexed uncompressed.

• Make sure loathing has full write access to the folder

Folder have have their "Read Only" options disabled. I don't know if there is another place to look for this.

• If you are on Vista or higher, and Myth is installed in program files, try running Loathing as an administrator.

Im using XP PRo wSP3

By the way this sucks, I do tech support for a major company and I hate explain things like this to people. Now I feel like one of those people. Thanks again.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Melekor, how hard would it be to make Loathing print the stack trace on a crash like Myth does now?

If it's doable, then maybe the best way to debug this would be to make such a build and have Dasgiest try it out.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Dasgiest, what is inside your local folder for collections and meshes? List the names of the tags.
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

Originally my local looked like this.
•

I though we were on to something so i removed the extra junk. It now looks like the following picture, however it still crashes.

I also did an install of the demo them moved all of the small and large regular, and international installs to the demo. The game works perfectly but Loathing still crashes.

PS the tags were for Carlito's units that I still have to ask him to use. Carl, if you see this let me know if its cool. I want to show you the map I was hoping to use them with as well if they work out.

Thanks again!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Using the Demo was not going to change your issue with Loathing. Try this, rename the local folder just temporarily. Run Loathing and see if it crashes. If it doesn't then you know it has something to do with the tags in your local folder.

You still have not listed the tags in your local. Show us what is inside the collections folder and what mesh you were trying to open in Loathing.
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

Still crashes when attempting to begin a new map using a new otherwise empty local (no collections).

Thanks.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

So it crashes with new meshes... what size is the image you are trying to use to make a new mesh with? You are using Loathing 1.7.2, right?
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

I am using 1.7.2

The meshes sizes have been attempted as:

512 x 512
1024 x 1024
1024 x 1536
1536 x 1536
1536 x 2048
2048 x 2048

I'm just going to reinstall when i locate a good copy. The install was cool for several years then it stopped working. I think that the public beta 2 broke it. worked fine before that thing. Thanks. Later
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

That is not possible. The Myth2 1.7.2 Public Beta 2 did not mess with your game files. All it could mess with are your "preferences" folder. You could try deleting the files in that folder and see if that changes anything, but I can't see how that would happen.

Without more info, it is hard to help you with your issue. No one else has reported such an issue so far. Maybe if I had your files, I would be able to figure out what the issue is, but that would be a pretty big upload and download.
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Dasgiest wrote:I am using 1.7.2

The meshes sizes have been attempted as:

512 x 512
1024 x 1024
1024 x 1536
1536 x 1536
1536 x 2048
2048 x 2048

I'm just going to reinstall when i locate a good copy. The install was cool for several years then it stopped working. I think that the public beta 2 broke it. worked fine before that thing. Thanks. Later
What DPI/Resolution? 72? Or more. I ran into a problem as such, and it turned out to be the DPI, which I had higher than 72.
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: J0N GOD
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

The DPI is 72 PPI. I even check to be sure that it wasn't the Color Map by trying to use one that was used in a map that had been finished the day before the problem started. The issue occurred with that CM as well. Thanks again. Das