Loathing Crashes when attempting to begin new map.

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Point

Re: Loathing Crashes when attempting to begin new map.

Post by Point »

1.72 loathing didnt seem to like many of my existing maps... no idea why just a crash on opening them.... went back to 1.71 and they opened fine.
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

Can others test Loathing 1.7.2 out?

Maybe a list of steps to reproduce this would help with the files you used to make the new mesh. That way we can try it with your file and see if it crashes for us. If it does, then that would help. If it doesn't we are back to square one.
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

The unusual part is that it does it with a new install on my primary rather than my secondary so I'm at the point where its got to be my PC and I'm no longer considering it a Myth/Loathing issue. While nothing explains the issue so far, my next step is to reinstall Windows. I do this about every 3 months anyways so I don't have an issue doing it one month early. Thanks for your help.

Das

P.S. This new install was done with 1.7.1 so I believe that I can also rule out 1.7.2 as the issue. It was just coincidental that it occurred shortly after the installation.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I'm confused... are you saying you installed 1.7.1 and Loathing worked? But then you say 1.7.2 is not the issue... so you don't get Loathing 1.7.2 to crash anymore?
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

I believe he meant that he did a fresh new 1.7.1 install and it still didn't work.. (where 1.7.1 worked before on the same machine) leading to the conclusion that it was not a loathing bug.
Myrd
Site Admin

Post by Myrd »

Melekor wrote:I believe he meant that he did a fresh new 1.7.1 install and it still didn't work.. (where 1.7.1 worked before on the same machine) leading to the conclusion that it was not a loathing bug.
Rather that it is not a new Loathing bug.

Melekor, you ignored my question about the feasibility of making a Loathing build that logs its stack trace like Myth does...
Melekor
Site Admin

Post by Melekor »

Possible? Yes. Trivial? No. Feasible? Maybe..
Dasgiest

Post by Dasgiest »

Hey I really appreciate everyones help when I brough up the Loathing crash issue. After trying to resolve the issue and being unsucessful, I gave up for moment. After 2 new installs of XP and different install of M2 each time, alas the issue persists.

Im leaning towards it being a hardware issue but cannot confirm it yet becuase I see no reason with using a different PC if this one still has a problem. It seems to be a noob issue. Although, having used Loathing since the Codex was released, I assure you that its not something related to the general compatibility formats with color map attributes and other items, as was suggested before. Even if i choose to use a color map from a pre-existing map, Loathing crashes right away. If there is a plan to have Loathing log specific events, please be sure to let me know.

~ Das
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

There are still questions that you can answer that might help solve your issue. You are using Windows XP, do you know what service pack? (Right Click on "My Computer" and select Properties. It will say something like Windows XP Service Pack 3 in the window.)

How Much RAM do you have? It will tell you in the same window that shows what version of Windows you are on.

Are you using Loathing 1.7.2? Is your local folder empty? If not, what files or subfolders are in there? (The files "myth2" and "tools" don't count as they are default files that get made and deleted.)

Open a default map in Loathing, export a color map and re-import it to the same mesh. Does it still crash? Can you open that color map and preview/see it? (To make sure the file actually works.)