Looking for the following Myth Tools

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
GodzFire

Looking for the following Myth Tools

Post by GodzFire »

I am hoping I can have everyone take a look in their archives and see if they can find the following tools:

- MISSING TOOLS -
MythHack (MythHack allows you in international rooms in bungie.net; a Vista program apparently)

I also have no documentation for the following tools:
Make MythII Maps/Films
Myth II Type–Fixer
Myth Plugin Typer
MythFilmEdit
Last edited by GodzFire on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
GIANT

Re: Looking for the following Myth Tools

Post by GIANT »

::waves hand:: idiot collective here..John is on my facebook.
Only living member of Idiot Map Making Collective and Creation.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

I have:

Chisel
LANKing
a zip called "LazyScripter Simple Helper"
Myth Film Cataloger
PC Header Editor
Stamp
06_forgotten lands

Is Mesh App by any chance the same as Mesh Edit? HeadEdit the same as Header Edit? If so, I have both Mesh Edit and Header Edit.

Let me know which of these you still need and I'll upload em somewhere for you.

i think Welly posted on the forums here in the past week?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Nah Welly hasn't been on since Aug 24, 2008.

Never heard of Mesh Edit, but Mesh App is supposedly 'Something like Antero, but for exporting scripts in TFL'. Also not sure if HeadEdit the same as Header Edit.

If you could VR, could u zip em up and upload them to the quick uploads folder on uDogs?
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

i don't need a udogs account to upload 'em there?
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

If you want to upload on udogs you need an account. Just talk to one of the red guys and they can set you up with one. Or you could upload elsewhere and give the link to godzfire.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

godz read pm
Welly

Post by Welly »

GodzFire wrote:I am hoping I can have everyone take a look in their archives and see if they can find the following Tools:

- Agony (Vista R.P.A. Program Pack)
- Anguish
- Mesh App
- MythHack
- Pestilence (Vista R.P.A. Program Pack)
- Rage (Vista R.P.A. Program Pack)
- Script-O-Matic
- Twisted Mytal
- Vanity

Also, does anyone have any current contact info:
- Welly
- Vodi
- John Davis of Idiot Mapmaking Collective (or any of them)
GodzFire, from our discussion on HL, you can at least now refine the list as follows:

A) Tools from the old 9-app pack:
- 1. Rage
- 2. Pestilence
- 3. Agony
- 4/6. Dolor (exists for sure only as source)
- 5. Vanity
- 6/4. [name unknown, if it ever existed]
- 7. Famine
- 8/9. Anguish
- 9/8. Rapacity

B) Script-O-Matic never existed. It was a joke, see http://carnage.bungie.org/myth/asylum/a ... read=22080.

C) Twisted Mytal I have this and can send it your way.
vinylrake wrote:Is Mesh App by any chance the same as Mesh Edit? HeadEdit the same as Header Edit? If so, I have both Mesh Edit and Header Edit.
Also, vinylrake those were all 4 different tools.

1. Head Edit, by Chris Dreessen (Badlands), was used primarily for importing .256 sprites between Myth 1 and 2 formats.
2. HeaderEdit, by Chris Hanline, was a rather trivial tool, to quote the author, a "simple utility for editing the comments and tag code in any Myth tag file"
3. MeshApp, by Yeegees, was a tool used for importing/exporting scripting elements between games
4. Mesh Edit, I think was a PC tool and therefore not of interest to me, which explains why I don't have it. But I could be wrong.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

An interesting article I found by Welly while searching for Indigo Deacon; "A Whole World Of Lost Myth"
http://carnage.bungie.org/myth/asylum/a ... read=22513
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

List updated, and here's some interesting information about Apathy from it's documentation, if anyone cares:

Documentation Overview

What does Apathy do? It translates 3DMF models into Myth 2 tags. It also edits attributes that are important to Myth 2's engine.

What doesn't Apathy do? It will not edit textures or model geometry. It can't be used to make a model. There are other tools that do this, some of them are shareware or even free.

There is one feature notably missing from Apathy's functionality, and it's an advanced one. The ability to make model permutations. This may get added in at a later date.

In the meantime, Vegas can be used to supplement this feature. Vegas is an unreleased Bungie tool that can do the full range of Myth 2 model editing. Since it's unreleased by Bungie, I can neither tell you where to get it or what to do with it if you did have it. You'll just have to scratch and figure it out for yourself. However making a model permutation is only useful for about 1% of the time, and there are ways around it that don't involve Vegas.

History of Apathy

You never know, someone might be interested in the history of Apathy's development. I'll expound on that a bit.

Eli Curtz has been reverse engineering Myth code since TFL was in beta. By the time Myth 2 was released, there were finally some decent official tools. But one thing very noticably absent was model editing. Eli set out to reverse engineer Vegas itself, make it Mac friendly, using standards Mac users can deal with.

Vegas ended up in Vista's hands (as it did for other mapmaker groups) in a completely undocumented state. Almost nobody had the patience to try and figure out how it worked, it just appeared to be completely broken and backwards in it's design. Needless to say, the learning curve on Vegas is harsh. It can be a challenge for some people just to get it to launch.

So here was Eli's goal in a nutshell: Understand Myth's model code, reverse engineer Vegas, and make the new editor easy to use and bug free.

Vista had Apathy working in the infant stages some time ago and used it sparingly for just a few projects, but it was very incomplete. It only had the ability to translate certain 3DMF's to Myth tags, but not set attributes on those tags. Without a GUI that would let you set the attributes on the tags, the models would be broken or nonfunctional in Myth. So to do anything with it, somebody had to learn Vegas. A few Vistans took on the challenge of figuring it out, and what we know about Myth 2 models today is based on what we figured out an inch at a time.

We never had any contact with Bungie on this issue. It's fair to assume that Bungie has enough going on without lending help to community editors. However we never thought that we couldn't do it ourselves.

While making Jinn, Apathy got used more and Vegas got used less as time went on. The final set of models were made using only Apathy. Speaking as someone who has used both tools extensively, Apathy is a dream to use. Making a complex model still has it's own set of difficulties, but Apathy made one phase of the total process alot easier to deal with.
sillek

Post by sillek »

I thought DA has the most sought after myth tool ?
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Tool listing updated and added a list of tools I don't have documentation for.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Listing updated again.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

"Battle Plan Reporter"? The app I wrote to help me keep my plugins in-sync with OoH's ever changing battleplan?

Description.

Documentation.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Listing updated. I am now down to 1 maybe 2 programs. I am pretty sure MythHack is real, and I think an Idiots creation. PlugOv however might not exist.