Need Suggestions on Making a Necromancer

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
vinylrake

Re: Need Suggestions on Making a Necromancer

Post by vinylrake »

using a public folder in a dropbox (2GB account is free) folder is a lot simpler (and ad free) than using many of the commercial file hosting sites.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

ok. I didn't know what was common practice around here, thanks for the tip.

here is a dropbox link instead, same file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32031027/local.rar
Gaming Rig: $2000
Apple Cinema Display:$1000
Using for 90% mything: priceless
Pyro
Bug Finder Extraordinaire

Post by Pyro »

VR was just giving a suggestion (that would allow you some control on your files) for future reference, there was nothing wrong with using mediafire for this one time thing. I'll look at this later and report back when I find the issue. If you find a solution first, let me know so I don't waste my time doing the same. :)
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

yeah, sorry if it sounded like i was TELLING you what to do - i am not part of Magma, but you can use any file hosting source you want - including your own. Personally, I've found dropbox incredibly simple and useful since you can save files right to it from any application or drag and drop files to a dropbox folder on your desktop- but that's just MY personal recommendation, I was trying to share a file sharing solution I've found realy useful, I was NOT telling you what to do.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

@Pyro: Thanks, I will. I have spent an awful lot of time looking though, and it is just...it's just a brick wall to me. I've tried swapping every variable imaginable. I will keep trying tho. Maybe I'll find it first =P

@vinylrake: that's fine :) You're totally right, drop box is amazing, I just told all my friends about it and they love it. Best filesharing service I've ever seen.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

cool, glad you find dropbox useful.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Victory.

The issue lay in the fact that a warrior a) has no pick up animation and b) "warrior dead body" wasn't his ammo type. Gave my thrall creator both of those and now he picks it up like a pro :) score.

Pyro: I proudly say thank you for offering to look at it, but I got this one. XDXD

I'm sure I'll have 10million more problems anyways.

But for tonight, I am quite a happy man :)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Good thing I still haven't extracted that file then. :P
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Yup :)

Is there really no more graceful way of removing objects from the mesh? I can't use a geom to store the dead body as a subj in a unit control that deletes them? I tried that, it failed. There is an object control, but that is only for hiding or revealing all of a type of projectile it seems. This seems like a mapmaking feature that loathing should have, is there a reason it isn't implemented? Is the reason simply: Bungie didn't have a need for it, so it isn't there?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Is that why you were using the Pick Up Object action? Use a Unit Control instead with the "Give Monster Artifact or Projectile" parameter. It gives a unit the item without making them pick it up (as long as they allowed to grab it of course).

You could always have some ambient unit out there that the script gives it all these projectiles and removes them at the same time using the "Remove Artifact Flag" parameter. Not sure if that parameter works on non-artifacts that a unit can grab the same way a Ghol grabs things.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

hahahah derp. Just implemented that, works like a charm.

My necromancer is working!!! WOO!! hahaha it feels good. I'm on to just aesthetics now. Thanks so much for your help everyone, especially Pyro. I really appreciate it.

Is there a way to make a unit uncontrollable without making it uncontrollable? Unit promotion only works if the promoted unit is already a part of the team that the promoter is a part of. For some reason if either or both units are set to uncontrollable or ignore user commands, the promotion never occurs. So is there someway to make my creator unit unselectable, without using those two flags? I don't want the user accidentally interrupting the script.

Edit: I made her an inanimate object with no selection box or health bar. Seems to work just fine :)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

If you make the scale of the unit really small like 0.01 in the object tag, then you won't even see it on the screen.
fildred13

Post by fildred13 »

Good to know, I still might end up implementing that, then. Right now I am playing around with using shiver as a sort of ghostly presence that actually does the "raising." It's aesthetic, though, so I can change that at any time I please.

Question: When my creator unit is summoned in a heap of bodies, she sometimes struggles to get a LOS on the body she is trying to raise after she has already raised a few because the thrall are just standing there. Is there a way to make her attack/the projectile pass through everything and simply BE on the ground at the location of the body? It breaks the script sometime when she takes too long to get in position to raise a unit, and anyways it looks weird that my ghostly spirit is having trouble pathfinding lol. Her range is PLENTY far to reach any body she has to raise, what else can I set so that she doesn't have to run around to get LOS?

IF that is completely undoable (which would be sad cuz I already scripted it to use an attack but IF it is truly undoable to make her not have to walk around to find the bodies) is there a way to maybe have a unit use something like the unit control that picks up an object from a distance, but instead drop one anywhere on the map?
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

yea, it has something to do with lightning

open up chimera, and look at the kyrilla teleport marker attack
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Why don't you just make the creator unit get MOMA'ed onto the dead body instead. Then use a reflexive special attack instead of a ranged primary attack. Think about a dwarf and its satchel charge which is a reflexive special attack. Instead of using the script to tell the unit to attack the ground, use a General Action with the creator unit as the subj and a "Command Type" set to 3 which works only on reflexive special attacks.