Visible units limit ?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Tireces

Visible units limit ?

Post by Tireces »

Im working on map that have many units.
Recently added groups of 120 dark units that spawn during already huge battle and attack from flank.
Unfortunatly only something like 60 dark units appers. I have just crashed with limit, right ?

How many visible in same time units can I have on 1.6.0 ?

TIA
"As long as a single one of us stands..."
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I think the limit for some actions is 64 monsters (the old limit was ~30) So the best thing is to limit the amount of monsters in one map action to as small as possible, and make many map actions.

Also you can only have 400 units on the map at once
Point

u can check limits in the new loathing...

Post by Point »

u can check limits in the new loathing...

to see how close you are to passing them.. as for map units active at one time on the map ... It was 400 last I heard....
if one does not learn from the failings of the past they are likely to suffer its return.
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

Like, if I have 100 thrall I want to pop up, I will make 3 CTRL visibles and 3 Attacks, each with 33 or so guys. It seem to run lot smoother that way. I think actions like test units, unit controls, and attacks can handle 64+ easy but once you get to move/platoons/mungers sometimes they don't work as good.
ozone

Post by ozone »

you should have them pop up in a wave...one column visible which triggers the next column...and so on and so on...

:D
do it.
A-Red

Post by A-Red »

Fury IX wrote:Like, if I have 100 thrall I want to pop up, I will make 3 CTRL visibles and 3 Attacks, each with 33 or so guys. It seem to run lot smoother that way. I think actions like test units, unit controls, and attacks can handle 64+ easy but once you get to move/platoons/mungers sometimes they don't work as good.
The most basic actions (ATTA, CTRL) can definitely handle over 100 units. Mungers themselves probably don't have any special limit--it only matters what action you're putting those units into.
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I think splited 120 gorup into two 60 groups, tho still only ~60 units appeard, then I decided to trigger this wave nit later ( after main darl force health will drop to 30% ) and all 120 units appeard - but I also lost many light units in fight with main dark forces before trigger.

So its 400 ( both light, dark and animals ?) in same time max ?
Is threre any way to increae this limit ?
Is there an app that will count visible units or I have to do it by myself ?
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

AFAIK you'll have to count them yourself, but it shouldn't be that hard, just go through the actions that make your units appear and see how many units are appearing in each wave, add to that the maximum # of light units that _could_ be visible at that time and make sure the total number is under 400 at all times.

Just make sure you have a flow chart running through the appearing units so they never exceed a certain number at any time during the game..
Tireces

Post by Tireces »

I wish some1 could make small app that would scream on me " Alert, aleart - u have over 400 units there u n00b - remove something or you will screw this map!" ;)
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

Try "shift - page down" in game
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Tireces wrote:I wish some1 could make small app that would scream on me " Alert, aleart - u have over 400 units there u n00b - remove something or you will screw this map!" ;)
Wouldn't the total# of units visible at any point in time depend on a lot of different ingame variables that will vary from game to game - like how many of any given wave/platoon/group of units have been keeled at any given point in time? e.g. even if one could write a pgm.script that could parse the script actions and determine # of possible visible units at different points in time, it seems like it would be a really spotty and inaccurate number. The variable # of casualties combined with what conditions cause different units to appear could make the whole counting exercise a multidimensional tree of possibilities. (e.g. wave 1 appears at x time, wave 2 appears at x + 5 minutes, patrol #3 is only made visible if a a unit goes to point B on the map - but you have no way of knowing from the scripting alone if the player has keeled any of wave 1 or is running away and avoiding conflict (assuming it's possible) or has triggered patrol#3).
Lots of Myth stuff at http://mythgraveyard.org.
Sometimes I put hard to find stuff in my my Udogs folder.
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Fury IX wrote:I think the limit for some actions is 64 monsters (the old limit was ~30) So the best thing is to limit the amount of monsters in one map action to as small as possible, and make many map actions.

Also you can only have 400 units on the map at once
Complete falsity. This was the case back on 1.3.1..... but since 1.4, those 64 mons per action limits have been removed. I had a map back around 1.4's release that was triggering waves of 150 thralls at a time, no problem. That's not the issue. You're clearly exceeding that 400 unit limit.
vinylrake wrote:Wouldn't the total# of units visible at any point in time depend on a lot of different ingame variables that will vary from game to game - like how many of any given wave/platoon/group of units have been keeled.........
Sure those variables are relevant.... however as Ar pointed out... you calculate the MAXIMUM possible number of units visible. and keep THAT value under 400 at all times. That being said.... the 400 limit seems to be a little bit random in itself. I've had meshes with 375ish units... JUST the monsters, nothing else on the map... and still not all 375 would show up every game. Seemed really curious.

Basically it's been said already Tir... you have to pace your script and time actions in such a way that there cant be too many monsters visible at once. Maybe make your thrall a little tougher, and use fewer of them?
Fury IX

Post by Fury IX »

I swear some actions don't work right if you have too many monsters in them....
Khadrelt

Post by Khadrelt »

Graydon wrote:the 400 limit seems to be a little bit random in itself. I've had meshes with 375ish units... JUST the monsters, nothing else on the map... and still not all 375 would show up every game. Seemed really curious.
Same here. I made a netmap with 2 teams, with a grand total of 380 visible units, and when I started the game a bunch of units were missing. If I started it with just myself they all showed up on the one team, but with both teams on the map there would be some missing. So I think the limit must be lower than 400, or it's just really finicky about it.
The cake is a lie.
TheHelmet

Post by TheHelmet »

I think 400 has been mentioned to be the most units that has ever been succesfully used on a map at one time, but the recommendations I received when starting with the whole mapmaking thing was to stay under 400 at all times, and to be certain everything would work fine, stay at around 350-380..

It's always best to work with a little safety in these cases.. I mostly stay at around 380 and haven't had any problems so far..