Format of sprite data from collection tags

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Industry

Post by Industry »

Does anyone know what the format for the Sprite Data in the
collection tags is? Not the whole tag, mind you but just the
data of the actual bitmap. Is it RAW? RLE? Its not BMP.

It looks to me like the format of the Sprite Data has changed since Loshadh's 1998 FutureMyth post about .256 files. At least the head doesn't start with the width and height.
msheets

Post by msheets »

Don't know about the format, but it definitely hasn't changed. None of the tag formats have changed any. Even with the enhancements we've made with 1.4/1.5 they just take advantage of unused portions if anything.
- Infininight #CP#V
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

when you import the sprites using Amber they have to be BMP. What they're stored as inside the tag is anyone's guess.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Industry

Post by Industry »

Infininight,

I'm pretty sure the Loshadh's post sprite deciphering was for the Myth:TFL .256 tags. The Myth 2 collection tag must be different, similar but surely different. Isn't it? I mean I thought if nothing else Bungie increased the size of headers.
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

they changed the headers but not a lot else changed in Collection tags for sprites.
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Make sure you're indexing your bitmaps....they have to be 8 bit or Amber wont read em. Indexed to 256 colours (I usually stick to Cmap colours...240-245) And saved as Windows 8-bit .bmp files. Then in amber just go Add Bitmaps (cmd+k) and select em from your folder.....and onward :D
Industry

Post by Industry »

This wasn't about Amber, this was more about lack of Amber. I was hex editing the extracted tags. And had thought I had found the start of the actual bitmap data. I was off by 32 bytes. Loshadh's post is correct. As I have just painstakingly verified.