¿YOU NEEDA HELP?

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

Joo khan powst hea! :cool:
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
Chucky

Post by Chucky »

well keep up the good work joo
<(--CHUCKY--)>
CheezeFist

Post by CheezeFist »

Heya guys

I need some noobish help. I am a mapmaking noob. I downloaded a shit load of textures, tutorials, walkthroughs and stuff. I dusted off my laptop (which runs in OS 9.2) and started messing around with a colormap. I got one made and opened it in loathing. I threw a couple of units on it and set a camera above them. I then hit fear and turned the map on. Then the trouble started. I couldn't get it to work in Myth. I can't host a multiplayer game unless in connected to teh internet, which my laptop isn't. So I clicked, single player map in fear figuring I could hold down shift to get to it. When I tried again myth froze. I hit "new game" and tatally locked up. I decided to run Myth in 1.3(old) version and see if that worked. I hit new game, saw my map and clicked on it. It started to load and them BLAM. El Crasho.
Sp here are my questions: I was going to reinstall myth thinking I coulda messed something up to make it crash, do I need to update myth in order to mapmake? If I do are there older patches available? (The only ones on playmyth are for OS X) Is there a Os X mapmaking tool? Could I have done something wrong while making my map that is causing the crashes?

Well, I guess thats it fer now. Sorry if these are like ultra noobish questions but, I guess I am the ultra noob!

thanks
CHEEZE
Graydon

Post by Graydon »

Most likely you simply forgot to check a few boxes in the mesh tag in Fear :) For a multiplayer map to 'work' you need a few things.....at least one team (2 works nicer for testing though), an observer for every team starting location, and team #'s for the units. Then you go to Fear and do the following. Check 'is complete' (i think you did this part) as well as 'can catch fire' and the other ones you wish to use. Then under Gametypes (i think this could be the problemo) check 'bodycount'. This shoudl guarantee a load at least :) You CAN play 'online' without going online......do it via a TCP/IP game hosted by you....select your plugin from the plugins list (assuming you're using 1.4.x) and then (you may have to hit shift) select your map and choose your settings.....let'er whirl :D Should do it.....if not I think you're gunna have to post up a myth_log.txt located in your Myth2 directory. Hope that helps some :)
CheezeFist

Post by CheezeFist »

nope it ain't working.

the myth_lof.txt reads as follows:

Scanning for software devices...
found 1 to use
Scanning for RAVE devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3DFx devices...
found 0 to use

Running software screen #1 at 640 x 480, 16 bit

Error: File system Open in definitions.c, line #497: couldn't read header for mesh definition 'nemf'.

Error: File system Write in recording.c, line #1543: couldn't write block header to recording.

does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am running OS 9.2 and myth is running in 1.3.1
Should I give up on mapmaking or is there light at the end of the tunnel?
CHEEZE
Unkfolt

Post by Unkfolt »

Hmm. I've never made a multi-map and been able to play it. I'd suggest clearing all the checked boxes in Fear, and then asking a map maker to tell you which boxes to check.

Otherwise you can take one of Bungie's multiplayer maps with the same dimensions as yours, and just import your own color map onto it. Play around with it for a while until you figure out what might have gone wrong with your map. :;):

¤¤ Unkfolt
"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
-Carl Sagan
CheezeFist

Post by CheezeFist »

Actually I have decided to hit my computer with a stick
until it learns its lesson.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to look over some Bungie maps and learn by example.

thanks guys!
CHEEZE
Jungle Pickle

Post by Jungle Pickle »

I have a project for anyone interested:

My mapset "Requiem for a Thrall" is plagued by shoddy and crude displacement, largely because I did it by hand in Loathing. Each mesh has slightly different terrain quirks because of adjustments I made in each one.

What I need is someone with the time and expertise to take a color map I provide and create a basic mesh, complete with displacement, reflection etc. No units, scenery, or projectiles are required or wanted. I just want a clean, working mesh I can add stuff on top of and duplicate.

I'd do it myself, but know nothing of making grayscale displacement maps. I've gotten a basic outline of how it's done from someone, but it seemed way over my head, and I'd much rather just have someone else do it. Whenever I make a map, I always just dupe an already existing mesh and change the units and projectiles, so I've never gained the knowledge of making a good displacement map.

If you're interested, reply to this and I'll arrange to give you the color map and some specifics about how I want it done.

Thanks!
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

CheezeFist wrote:nope it ain't working.

the myth_lof.txt reads as follows:

Scanning for software devices...
found 1 to use
Scanning for RAVE devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3DFx devices...
found 0 to use

Running software screen #1 at 640 x 480, 16 bit

Error: File system Open in definitions.c, line #497: couldn't read header for mesh definition 'nemf'.

Error: File system Write in recording.c, line #1543: couldn't write block header to recording.

does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I am running OS 9.2 and myth is running in 1.3.1
Should I give up on mapmaking or is there light at the end of the tunnel?
There are lots of rules have to follow when creating a mesh to get it to work properly in Myth II. And just because something seems to work inside Loathing, that doesn't necessarily mean it will work in the actual Myth game. I would suggest getting one of the basic map tutorials and following it closely, at least until you get the basics mastered. In the meantime, here's a couple of quick tips that might solve your problem:

Make sure your colormap dimensions are multiples of 256 pixels. e.g. 1024 x 1280 or 2048 x 2048, etc. There is a limit to the size a mesh can be. Square meshes max out at 2304 x 2304. Rectangular meshes can exceed the 2304 mark in one dimension, provided the other dimension is much less. Again, look at some existing maps for reference.

Make sure your colormap is indexed to 240 colors, NOT 256 colors. Myth needs those last 16 colors of the color table for blood and crater effects.
Mauglir
El Tainted Blissarino

Post by El Tainted Blissarino »

I'm having problems getting the reflection mask editor to work in loathing. I have a black and white (but greyscale mode) reflection map that works fine when I import, but there are a few places where it just doesn't line up with the color map. I've tried editing it in Photoshop, but I just keep missing the mark by a few pixels here and there.

Is there any trick to getting the media mask tool to work? Right now it just turns media squares pink and leaves everything else alone, but it won't let me change anything.

Thanks
I'm not into that whole "brevity" thing.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

The Media Mask tool in Loathing is non-functional - so your only choice is get the reflection map perfect.

One way to get it more accurate is to use an exported terrain map:

1) Select the terrain edit tool in Loathing and set every cell you want to be water to Dwarf Depth Media. Another way to do this is to outline all your media areas with a terrain type that's different from the main type of terrain found on your map. e.g. if most of your mesh is grass, try outlining the water with a row of desert cells.

2) Export the terrain map and paste it into a new layer on your reflection map.

3) Make the necessary adjustments to the reflection map using the terrain map as a guide.

4) Delete the terrain map layer and reimport your new reflection map into Loathing.
Mauglir
El Tainted Blissarino

Post by El Tainted Blissarino »

Ok thanks a lot!

When I made my colormap, I had all of the textures on different layers (like rock, dirt, water, etc) and what I did for my reflection map was merged all of the media layers together and turn them black and then merge all of the solid layers together and turn them white. For some reason doing it this way makes the middle of water come up as media, but the edges right next to land are not....makes for some pretty interesting effects on testing!

:)
I'm not into that whole "brevity" thing.