Importing a terrain map - How do i keep it from screwing up

A forum for discussing map making ideas and problems for the Myth series.
Orlando the Axe

Post by Orlando the Axe »

Ok I exported the terrain map then imported it right back and it worked correctly (without the changes I want).

I edited it (using the colors of the exported map, all grey scale) and re-imported it with the changes. Result: all of the grass areas were changed to dwarf depth media and steep became deep media.

I tried doing it again using the red/green whatever that it has in loathing. This partially worked but it made all the steep (and grass) become grass. I'm wondering what I have to do to make it work properly.

Edited By Orlando the Axe on 1080877734
iron
Site Admin

Post by iron »

hmm, I vaguely remember having this problem. I found that either you save it as 256 color (not grayscale) or as grayscale - I can't remember which. One of them worked whereas the other had the effect you're describing.

... and aside from that, make sure that the colortable of the image you've edited matches that of the image Loathing exports.

Edited By iron on 1080889221
...playing as long5hot on War Thunder
haravikk
Site Admin

Post by haravikk »

Easiest way is just to do nothing to the image but alter where the different colours are, don't add layers, don't switch to RGB don't do anything else. If you need to work from another file to layout your terrain map then copy it to a new file, work on it the paste it back into the original.
Being Haravikk gets you girls like these:
Orlando the Axe

I was using a grid so I could paint it properly (so I layered it obviously). I tried pasting into the original and it did the same "grass becomes dwarf media" deal.
Orlando the Axe

ok I saved it as a greyscale and it worked thanks guys.
mauglir

Post by mauglir »

My guess is that when you were saving it as an indexed color image, you had the index setting in PS set to "Adaptive" - which will make small color compromises in your image in order to get the best overall result for the image - this is perfect for getting a good looking cmap, but for something that needs to be color exact - you should index using the "Exact" option.

Of course, if greyscale is working, then just stick with that. I know displacement maps must be greyscale to work properly.
Mauglir